1.20.2009

Now I have a six-year old

and since most strangers assume I'm nineteen or twenty, that might create some issues. Since I am good at passing the blame, I will say that the real problem is that most girls who are nineteen and twenty dress like they're twenty-seven. I got my hair cut to make myself look older. I even got rid of some of my t-shirts, sweatshirts, jeans, and shoes. They made me look like "a babysitter", according to Rachel. And in case you're wondering, the outfits that get her nod of approval are the ones she says make me look like I work at a bank.

Rachel, my new six-year old, has plenty of opinions. Here are some funny ones I came across when looking through my notes-that-need-to-be-written-in-the-baby book from this year:

We were driving in the car and I told the kids they couldn't eat any more candy or else their teeth were going to turn brown. Then I heard Rachel in the back seat turn to Lucy and say, "Well, if your teeth turn brown, that's okay because then they get to be silver." (May 2008)

Rachel and Lucy were trying to figure out how the earth rotates and why the sun looks like it's moving. Lucy said, "Okay, okay, be quiet Rachel. Let me explain to you how it works. You know how when you're driving next to the Frontrunner and it makes it look like the ground is moving backward? It's the same as us looking at the sun because it's not moving." Rachel then insisted (at least five times) "No, Lucy, it doesn't work that way. The Frontrunner is not the sun." (July 2008)

After her new haircut, I asked, "Do you feel like a new Rachel?"
"No because my breath still stinks. I just need to change that and then I'll feel like a new Rachel." (July 2008)

Steve and I were arguing about something. Rachel quickly took my side and said to Steve, "Well, your Mom's not a teacher." (September 2008)

I was flipping through the channels towards The Brady Bunch and we ended up on the news. They were talking about the debates and Rachel said, "Hey, that's John McCain." I asked her how she knew that and she said she'd seen him on a commercial. And then she said, "But I like Barack Obama better. I think you should vote for him. But if John McCain's name was Candy Cane, then I would definitely vote for him." (September 2008)

We were reading the story about the birth of Jesus and I asked the girls where Jesus was born. Rachel answered, "In a condo." I corrected her and said, "No, Jesus was born in a stable." She quickly replied, "Well, what was a stable back then is a condo now." (December 2008)

9 comments:

Katie said...

OH my gosh! LOVE these....I just read a few out loud to my husband. Isn't it so funny how kids see things?! Stable vs. condo...they're about the same! And I'd vote for anyone named Candy Cane too...

Kristin said...

This post really made me laugh! We are coming down there tomorrow will you have time to come over?

Stephanie said...

Hey Emily, I'm not sure if you remember me from Logan, but my name is Stephanie Dirks. I lived on 600W. How are you? I found you through my friends blog, Melissa Campbell. How are you? Your girls are so cute. I remember when Lucy was born. Time has gone by so fast. Look for our blog at www.dirks2000.blogspot.com. Good to find you agian!

James and Jade Bethers said...

Hey Emily

Wow...Sounds like you all are doing great! Your kids sound like like are a lot like you! I could stop laughing when I was reading this post! Hope all is well!

Kacie said...

Those are so hilarious. Especially the Candy Cane one.

We also like to tell the story about the time we were at Ray's and the phone rang and Rachel asked what those "funny bells" were.

Molly said...

cute blog! of course you can add me! your kids are adorable.

i am going to come try the restaurant next time i am up in that area...

Hess said...

What a clever little girl, she is so darn cute!

Josh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Josh said...

Love this post, I laughed the whole way through. And I discovered RSS, now I can follow more closely!