3.12.2009

Community Food Co-op

My friend, Amanda, told me about the Food Co-op, and I am signing up today. The deadline to place an order for the Saturday, March 28th distribution is Friday, March 13. I am telling you about the Co-op before I have even joined because I am eager to get involved and don't want you to have to wait another month for my report. I saw the stash of food that Amanda received in February, and trust me, it is a good deal. She was very impressed with the quality of the produce (lettuce, kiwis, apples, oranges, artichokes, etc.) that she got in the middle of the winter. 
 
Here is some information from their website: The Community Food Co-op of Utah is for EVERYONE. Whether you are looking for a great deal on fruits and vegetables or are just looking for a way to share in the community, you can be part of this simple exchange: giving and receiving. The Co-op provides quality, healthy food at a substantial savings (up to 50 percent below retail) through cooperative purchasing and builds a sense of community by bringing people together and promoting volunteerism. 

Each month, members pre-order their shares of fruits, vegetables, meat, and grains. You can order as many shares as you like, and how often you place an order is up to you. On "Distribution Day" (usually the third or fourth Saturday of each month) a network of volunteers helps distribute the food to locations along the Wasatch Front where you can pick up your order. 

Each Co-op member belongs to a "team" of other members in their area. Once a month, each team coordinates the transportation and distribution of their share of the food. Whether you decide to take an active role in your team is up to you, but all members are encouraged to volunteer 2 hours during each month you place an order. This can be ANYTHING you do for someone outside of you family for free! Volunteer hours are logged when you pick up your order. There is an optional lifetime membership fee of $5. 

You can find a list of Co-op teams HERE. I will be signing up for the Youth Impact Center at 2305 Grant Avenue. (Amanda, you should switch, unless you really like going to Adult Dance and Fitness. . .) I think I will count my volunteer hours from the other things (like church service and helping in the lunch room at Rachel's school) until I decide I want to be more involved with the whole distribution process. 

Spread the word because the more people who join, the lower the prices will go! Click HERE to print an order form. You can mail, phone, or fax your order in, so there's still time to make the March deadline. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Well I signed up for Youth Impact this month. I will definitely think about switching over because I can't say that I was all that comfortable at Adult Dance and Fitness...

Karen said...

Thanks for posting about the Community Food Co-op! This is great information! I have been looking for something like this in the area.