3.17.2009

Aunt Helen

March 14, 2009

My (great) Aunt Helen passed away last week, and we spent Saturday in Logan for her funeral. Helen is my mom's aunt, and she faced a difficult life. As a very young child, she had typhoid fever and was unconscious for a month. Her brain was damaged, and she was left mentally impaired. Even so, she learned how to read and write and became a skilled embroiderer.

Helen wasn't expected to survive into adulthood, but instead, she outlived all of her siblings and died at the age of 92. Helen loved cats, General Hospital, mashed potatoes, root beer, and The Lawrence Welk Show. She had an impressive memory and, even in her old age, knew the names of all my aunts, uncles, cousins, and where they lived.

December 14, 2004

Most of my memories of Helen are from when she lived at the Logan Nursing Center, where she spent the last 17 years of her life. Helen was usually asleep when we went to see her. As we went to wake her up, she would turn her head away and act like she didn't want to be bothered until she peeked out to see who it was. When she saw Rachel and Lucy, she would quickly sit up, order me to sit down, and smile. I loved Helen's smile.

Helen was kind of sneaky, and it took me a long time to catch on. Whenever I asked if anyone had been there to visit her, she always told me no. Then one day, when I knew my Aunt Kathy had just been there, I realized she just wanted us to come more frequently.

December 14, 2007

When we lived in Logan, we liked to visit Helen on Fridays after preschool. The girls loved to sing songs to her, and she liked me to sit and hold her hand. Helen has been part of Rachel's nightly prayers for years, and she really became a special part of her life. I'm thankful that Helen was able to provide Rachel the opportunity to learn about love and service. Rachel has really missed Helen since moving to Ogden. We will all miss her now.

3 comments:

The Ballard's said...

What a sweet post.

Rebecca said...

I love that. Thank you so much for that! I would love to hear about the funeral.

Rebecca said...

and that picture of the three kids in front of her coffin is perfectly adorable!