4.14.2009

Two Years Old

Since Adam's baby book is still empty, I decided it is time to officially document some things about this kid, since today is his 2nd birthday. Here it goes:

After Lucy, I told everyone I would not get pregnant again. We learned about Zofran and decided to have one more. I then had two very difficult miscarriages and three surgeries before getting pregnant with Adam.

I was given a blessing that I would carry Adam full-term. At one appointment, my Hcg levels had not risen appropriately and Dr. Heiner proceeded to give me the miscarriage talk. We were both shocked to see a heartbeat. The blessing tested my faith, but ultimately became a great source of strength: physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

I found out he was a boy when I was only 14 weeks pregnant. I went and bought an "It's a Boy" balloon and took it to Steve at work. He hurried outside to stop me and was a little annoyed because he didn't believe that we could know that early and did not want me announcing something that wasn't true.

After months of sleepless nights, constant backaches, contractions, and fFN tests, I was finished being pregnant. I drank castor oil to put myself into labor. . . four weeks early.

Adam was born in the middle of the night, and then he got whisked off the the NICU. I woke up in the morning, and it felt as if it had all been a dream.

At first, I was embarrassed to tell people I had taken castor oil because he ended up in the NICU, but it wasn't my fault. He had some liquid in his lungs that they first thought was an infection (in which case it would have been a good thing to speed up his delivery), but after starving him in the NICU, they determined that he had just breathed in some liquid as he was being born.

Steve wanted to name him Lewis. I did not. Thus the name, Adam Lewis Ballard. (Not a family name.) There were attempts at bribery, but when you have the sort of pregnancies I have, you get pretty much whatever you want.

Adam came home on oxygen and I kept putting off pictures until he didn't have stickers on his face. I really regret not taking more pictures of him.

He has a Y crack.

He was our smallest baby (six-and-a-half pounds), but quickly transformed into our largest baby.

Adam's bedroom was our closet until we moved to Ogden.

I used to strap him into his car seat when he was crying. Sometimes he just needs to be restrained.

Adam liked playing with cords so much that instead of carrying baby toys around in my bag, I brought an old cell phone charger for him to play with.

We finally had tubes put in his ears when he was ten months old. We should have done it six months earlier. The tubes reduced the occurrence of his ear infections from constant to once every three or four weeks. We think he may have finally outgrown his ear infections, since he hasn't had one since Valentine's Day.

He loves medicine in syringes. That has worked out pretty well since he's had to take a lot of it.

Adam was one year old before he started sleeping through the night without wanting a bottle. And now, when he wakes up in the night, he always cries for Daddy. (Lucky me.)

He is not a good cuddler. He gets violently mad if you're even touching his blanket or pillow.

Adam still eats baby cereal. He also eats ceviche and drinks jamaica. But when he's hungry, he usually grabs a can of Spaghettios and the can opener and throws them on the floor at my feet.

He drinks more liquid than any kid I've ever seen. Usually, by noon he's had three 8-ounce bottles of milk. (Yes, I know it's time to get rid of the bottles.)

He has a love/hate relationship with dogs. He loves them from a distance, but is scared of them when they are close. It's kind of like how he loves monkeys, but when I got him a monkey costume for Halloween, he was terrified of it and screamed hysterically when I tried to put it on him. He was a ninja instead.

Adam loves wearing shoes (and Heelys) that are too big for him.

Much to the dismay of our parents, Adam started climbing on the counter just about the same time he learned how to walk.

He is very opinionated, especially when it comes to his attire. He wore his penny loafers for two weeks straight, even to bed.

He has been chewing gum for probably eight months. It's his very favorite treat and the best way to keep him quiet at church. He will even take gum right out of your mouth.

Adam has been jumping out of his crib since he was eighteen months old. He gets locked in his room every afternoon for a nap and every night at bedtime. He used to sleep on the floor next to the door, but now he gets out, defiantly pulls everything down out of his closet, climbs up on his rocking horse to turn on the light, and then climbs back into his crib and goes to sleep.

He pulls his socks and shoes off within seconds of being strapped into his car seat and immediately starts playing with the automatic window. And when I get stopped at a red light, he yells, "Go, go, go!"

He likes to play in water, dirt, throw things down the stairs, and participate in other destructive behavior.

Adam is on a fairly rigid sleeping schedule. If he misses his nap, instead of going to sleep earlier at night, he will wake up in the middle of the night, so tired that he can't sleep. This kept me pretty close to home when he had two naps a day, but now I am sad to see his one nap shortening, as he gets older.

He has had a runny nose for about two years.

Adam quits things cold turkey. I had to stop nursing to have surgery when he was a couple months old and stopped all of the sudden. I spontaneously flushed his binkie down the toilet when he was 18 months old. And I just decided that I just made him his last bottle.

Adam will finally sit still long enough to read a book and watch television. (Hurray!)

Yes, Adam looks like my brother, Paul. We've heard that one a time or two.

My favorite thing in the world right now is hearing him say, "Yove You".

Enjoy the pictures:

1 day old

1 week old

1 month old

May 2007

July 2007

August 2007

September 2007

October 2007

November 2007

January 2008

February 2008

April 2008

June 2008

July 2008

August 2008

September 2008

October 2008

November 2008

January 2009

April 2009

11 comments:

Rebecca said...

Happy Birthday Adam! I'm sorry that I haven't sent you your present yet (I do actually have it!)

We love you!

Rachel said...

That was so fun to read, Em. I love your posts.

Reagan actually prefers the gum out of my mouth. If she sees me chewing gum, she demands I give my piece to her. So I do. This is appalling to my mother-in-law. Oh well.

Such cute pictures. He is a darling little boy. So glad you were able to have one more after your girls.

The Ballard's said...

He really is fantastic. I am glad you took the time to document those things. Happy Birthday Adam!

Stephanie said...

Either you have the funnest way to put things, or you have the cutest little boy alive. He's a rascal. I love it. Happy Birthday Adam. On a side note, Zofran is made my GSK (Randy's employer) and is now generic! One more maybe?

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday to Adam!! Thanks for the stories and the pictures Emily. Boys are crazy that's for sure. But I love having two boys.

Debra said...

He is such a boy! And maybe the cutest one I know. And I am quite proud to say that my daughter was his first girl friend! Oh, and can you coach me through the spontaneous removal of the binkies?

Julee said...

Happy Birthday Adam! He is soo cute... he is a good mix of both of you and Steve.

Callisters said...

What a cute litte guy you have! I gave up on scrapbooking and I am going to turn my blog into books, I just can't do it all!!! I knew that you were super sick with your pregnancies, but I didn't realize the struggles you had before Adam. I am sorry that is so hard. I love all the Easter posts, your kids are so cute. I also love Sonora Grill, I can't wait to go back!

Mindy said...

He is so cute! I can't belive how much he changed from Feb 08 to April 08...they grow up too fast. Sounds like he's "all boy" which is awesome :) Happy Birthday Adam.

J&Jchambers said...

I love this post. He is so funny and so cute! I can't believe how much his new baby pictures still look just like him. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

very cute boy!! I would love to come, except we are in Hawaii until April 24th. Your next party,I would love to come so invite me. Maybe i will have some of this baby weight off too!

MaRea Hess