5.28.2009

The Graduates

The Ballard Family has had a few graduates this month.

Lucy and her cousin, Jake, both graduated from preschool last Wednesday. They spent the year "learning about Indians" (according to Lucy) and "making really hard crafts" (according to Jake). Miss Jill is probably the World's Best Preschool Teacher, and we will miss her for a few years until Adam is old enough to be a student.

As we were walking into the graduation ceremony, a little girl came up to Lucy and taunted, "I am cuter than yooouuu!" Without missing a beat, Lucy replied, "I don't know about that." Because I taught at Morningside School, Lucy has attended three years of preschool. I hope she is as prepared academically for kindergarten as she is socially.

After I took Jake's photo, he came up to me and handed me his diploma certificate. With a disgusted man-voice (Jake has had a gruffy man-voice since he was two) he said, "I don't even know what that thing says." I told him I would read it to him and he explained, "That's the real problem. I don't even know how to read!"


Rachel graduated from kindergarten yesterday. Her wonderful teacher, Mr. Garcia, is from Spain. At first, Rachel was skeptical about having a male teacher, but she ended up being quite delighted with Mr. Garcia. He won her over by playing soccer with the kids at recess, demonstrating his juggling skills, and mailing the students postcards when he took trips out of town. We were hoping Mr. Garcia would be here to teach Lucy next year, but he is off to China for his next adventure.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

She is pretty darn cute. I can't imagine any other little girl being cuter. Congrats on your graduates.

The Ballard's said...

I thought it might be a joke for a min...the guy in a tye-dyed hat & dreadlocks...But then I remembered it was Mr Garcia:) I need to do a post like this. Cute pictures.

Rebecca said...

Congrats!!! I love Lucy's comeback! What a girl!

Ramanda said...

A teacher with dreads??? Could a teacher get any cooler? Way to go Ballard girls for a great school year!

Mindy said...

I can't believe both your girls are going to be in elementry next year. Crazy. The pics are very cute.