6.04.2009

The Worst Father's Day Present Ever

Ask Steve what the worst Father's Day present he ever received was, and there will be no pause before he gives his answer. There will be no hesitation at all, unless he is too embarrassed to admit that his wife really bought one of these for him. There's also a chance that he might still be so upset by this thing that he refuses to verbally call it by its name.

So I will say it.

Two years ago I bought Steve The Daddle for Father's Day. It was, unequivocally, the Worst Father's Day Present Ever.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I had a couple of kids who adored their father and a husband who liked to play with his kids. I was aware that it was a little on the cheesy side, but I sure didn't expect the reaction I got when he opened it. He acted like it was some grotesque crime scene picture and emphatically refused to even look at it. My hopes for a cute picture of Steve with his daughters on his back were quickly dashed.

I should have learned my lesson from the previous year when I gave him this really neat remote-control sailboat for Father's Day. I had mental images of him with the kids at First Dam on beautiful Sunday afternoons, chasing the ducks with the sailboat. But instead it spent a year under our bed, unopened and unexamined, until I finally sold it on craigslist.

Since Father's Day is approaching, I thought I would share this somewhat shameful story with you in hopes of preventing similar blunders in your lives. There might be times when you can give people gifts that you want them to have, rather than giving them gifts that they actually want. But Father's Day in the Ballard House is clearly not one of those times.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Laughing out loud...

Debra said...

ohhhhh...to see steve in that would be a very good day! you should have photoshoped his face into the pic. Do you still own it?

Rachael said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious. If you still have it, I think we should take turns gifting it to our respective hubbies for Father's day. So funny!

Jenny said...

That is hilarious. Maybe you should just make him breakfast.

Amanda said...

Oh I totally just laughed out loud...in my office...by myself. Love it. Too bad he never used it. That would have been some great home footage.

Lori said...

The Daddle? Niiiice. the name alone kills me. Kills. Me.

Bridgett said...

I love that you really bought that and wrapped it up for Steve.
If you still have it can I buy it from you?

emily ballard said...

So sorry to disappoint, but The Daddle is gone.

Long gone.

It's only funny now, two years later. Up to this point, it has been a touchy subject.

Ava Girl Designs said...

I do not even know you or your family but I have to say this is the best laugh I have had in quite awhile! I can just imaging my husbands face if I got this for him lets say I would be sleeping on the couch for a long time!