7.20.2009

Caramel Popcorn at the Fireworks



I made caramel popcorn to take with us to the firework show at Weber State University last night. It's not the best caramel popcorn I've ever had, but is the fastest, easiest recipe in the world (and still super tasty), so I thought I would share.

1 1/2 bags microwave popcorn (use healthy pop or smart pop variety or it will end up a little salty)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Pop popcorn and empty into a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, add all of the other ingredients and microwave for 90 seconds.
Take it out of the microwave, stir, and microwave again for 90 seconds.
Stir caramel and pour over the popcorn, stirring very gently. Microwave for 90 seconds.
Gently stir again and pour onto wax paper to cool.

I was so tired when we got home that I fell asleep on top of my bed with my clothes on.

We had a busy weekend packed full of things like bowling, haircuts, picking produce, riding the Jupiter Express, a visit from my brother, selling salsa at the farmers market, a cooking class at Sonora Grill, a wedding in Logan, and speaking in church on Sunday.

(Now you know why I'm a fan of the quick and easy version of caramel popcorn.)

4 comments:

The Ballard's said...

I use any variety of popcorn & just leave out the salt. This picture turned out better than I thought. Hey, it is Gretchen's birthday today!! We are getting rid of binki & we are sending them away on balloons. Wish US luck!!

Lori said...

I love caramel popcorn. You should ask Manda for her recipe. it's super simple...marshmellows, butter, and brown sugar.. that's it. yup. super easy.

i love the picture of your kids with the beaming mountain in the background. sigh. i miss the mountains.

Amanda said...

Oh I looove caramel popcorn. We should make up both of our recipes and see which one we like more.
BTW your talk was awesome in church. It spawned some good talks in our household that are already changing our home for the better.

Aly said...

Emily that is awesome that you made carmel corn for fireworks... we did alot when I was younger and Casey made fun of me because he thinks that carmel popcorn is for the fall!