7.10.2009

I am a little unbalanced

when it comes to harvesting fruit. I don't know when to stop. Sometimes my husband tries to restrain me, but it doesn't work. He should know better; he married me this way. In college, my roommates told me if I could find someone who would stay up all hours of the night to dehydrate fruit with me, I should marry him fast. (I did.)

I may or may not have failed some exams at Utah State because of my problem. I found an unattended apricot tree with loads of fruit that needed to be processed immediately. Then my grandpa called me with some plums, and then I was onto peaches. I skipped my classes for two weeks straight. And, subsequently, I received a personal invitation from Mark Damen to drop his Mythology course. He told me I wasn't taking it seriously. He didn't understand my priorities.

I have planned pregnancies, vacations, and surgeries around the harvest season. (Now you understand the urgency of the tonsils.) It's my very favorite time of the year, and is also the busiest. Good busy because I love it so much, even if some of the things I do seem a little extreme to my husband. Like the year I drove over 250 miles with ornery kids to pack the car full of blackberries that were on sale for $1.00 per flat. (He did restrict me from going back for a second trip.)

So much fruit, so little time. Which is why I need to get back to my cherries.

11 comments:

Star Journeys said...

oh you would love Portland in the Fall!! Blackberries galore! You could pull over on almost any street and find a blackberry bush. Apples too!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday when Dad was pitting the cherries to make cherry ice cream, he came across two worms, so we made pineapple-banana ice cream for the ward social instead. How many worms have we eaten?

P90X Group said...

Who couldn't eat two car loads of blackberries? I think you should have made a 2nd trip!

MaRea

emily ballard said...

Steve is a bit paranoid after some bad cherries we got from a neighbor and opens every single cherry before he eats it. He has not found any worms, and neither have I, even after cutting hundreds open for dehydrating.

Ramanda said...

Holy cherry goodness! I want to be as unbalanced as you!

@udj said...

you and harvesting do go together.
i'm wanting berries, and lots of them. so if you want company on a berry splurge, i'm there.

Kacie said...

The worst part about the $1/flat blackberry trip was that most of them were moldy...but they were only $1 so I couldnt turn them down. Then I spent the next 3 days picking through moldy berries...and now I cant eat blackberries.

Sam and I have seriously considered driving to Portland with a carload of dry ice.....

Mindy S. said...

Tell Steve I don't blame him. After several similar experiences, I came to the conclusion (I almost have proof) that worms are inherent in cherries; that cherries grow with worms already in them and that the longer cherries sit after being picked, the bigger the worms grow. I couldn't eat cherries for about 15 years, and now only consider eating them if they have JUST BARELY been picked (cuz then the worms are too small to even see). Just try to prove me wrong.

Mindy S. said...

uh, and if you need help bottling or drying, give me a call! :)

emily ballard said...

Kacie: waiting for three days was part of your problem. You needed to stay up and work until the berries were finished. I still LOVE blackberries and am up for a trip to Portland. Do you still have any temp workers we could hire??

Mindy: you should come over and inspect the worm-free cherries in my fridge that were picked on Wednesday! It looks like there are a few things in life I'd like to prove you wrong about. . .

Lisa Lou said...

I love it!! Nothing like getting the harvest done. You know you could plant your own blackberries. They are my favorite thing in the garden....next to the raspberries, and zinnias. Oh hell I love it all!!