7.29.2009

Lake Tahoe Lacrosse Tournament 2009


I started playing lacrosse when I was a freshman at Utah State. I was working at the Skyroom and enjoying my all-you-can-eat lunches, or more problematic, the all-you-can-eat desserts (Irish Cream Pie, Chocolate Suicide Cake, Aggie Nut Rolls) a little too much. So when Jodi invited me to come play lacrosse, I thought it might be a good idea.

I like team sports, and it was fun. I played with the Utah State team for two years. Then I got married, had kids, and subsequently, purged my life of many of my personal hobbies. In the name of family.

Fast forward eight years. Molly invited me to play with the Face Off Lax team at the Park City Ski-Town Shootout in June. It was presented almost as a challenge, and I'm not one to turn down challenges. It was fun. And cold.

Then I got the invitation to play at the Lake Tahoe Lacrosse Tournament. I had four weeks to prepare, and had marvelous intentions of getting into shape, actually practicing with my stick, and playing pick-up games in Salt Lake before the Tahoe tournament. But intentions don't get you very far. And my life is kind of busy these days. But I'm not one to turn down invitations (or break commitments), so I went.

Little did I know that most of the players were current collegiate athletes, post-collegiate athletes, coaches, and referees. Collegiate athletes from schools like Notre Dame, Vanderbuilt, Syracuse, and St. Mary's. East Coast players who grew up holding a lacrosse stick. I felt out of place. But I got to play on a good team with a great group of girls. It was fun. And beautiful.


Rachel and Lucy came along for a girls' trip. During the games, Rachel and Lucy collected giant pine cones, took hundreds of pictures with their camera, played hangman with Jane (my lifesaver), and threw a ball back and forth with their lacrosse sticks. We swam in Lake Tahoe, played miniature golf, and stayed up late reading The Chronicles of Narnia.

And endured almost 20 hours in the car.


When I got home, I was telling Steve how incompetent I felt. . . being one of the weakest players on the field and one of the oldest players too. My good husband told me he was impressed that I even tried. Then he asked me if it made me want to play more or made me never want to play again. I think it makes me want to play more.

But, I should clarify a few things. For Molly and others: #1 I like playing lacrosse. #2 I'm aware that I'm not the best lacrosse player. #3 I don't have much time to dedicate to practicing lacrosse. #4 I like going on trips. #5 I have a hard time turning down invitations for trips. #6 I am a better player now that I was before the tournament. #7 But I really won't be offended if you don't invite me to play in future tournaments. Honestly. My husband won't be offended either.

He missed me too much.

2 comments:

Molly said...

#8 you are SUPER COOL and SUPER FUN. And you are hereby invited to play in ANY tournament you want. I don't know how much fun you had with us, but we sure had fun with you...

and your girls are adorable.

Rebecca said...

you are awesome!