9.24.2009

I have the coolest husband in the world.



He knows how to do lots of really cool things. Like how to make a fruit fly trap.

1. Put a piece of rotting fruit in a bowl.
2. Pour vinegar over the fruit.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
4. Make small holes in plastic wrap by poking with a sharp knife.
5. Place the bowl in area where the fruit flies are driving you crazy.

Fruit flies will fly in, but can't get out. It's magical.

P.S. Use a piece of really rotten fruit. Otherwise, you have to wait for the fruit to rot inside the bowl before the trap becomes very effective.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is brilliant. How would one know to do that?

The Ballard's said...

Here I thought it was some kind of rich sauce on a candied peach half. But, I guess it is still cool. Kinda yucky, but very helpful. :)

AngelaW said...

Hmmm, when I saw the title I thought he must have given you something great. I guess rotten fruit is cool too. :)

Amanda said...

Can it be any kind of vinegar? Or do you have to use a certain kind?

emily ballard said...

Steve says apple cider vinegar works the best, but I used white vinegar. Since we've had LOTS of fruit flies and LOTS of opportunities for experimenting, we've also discovered that grape juice, apple juice, and plain fruit also work well to attract the flies.

Aneesa Bee said...

I just hope that isn't a Brigham City peach you let rot so you could catch your flies. No one invited me this year! :-(

Aneesa