9.18.2009

I look forward to this day all year long

Part of it may be the suspense, since we never know exactly when it will be, until it's here. But most of it has to do with peaches. Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free. Not really millions. But a lot. And they are HUGE!

My grandpa was a doctor. He took really good care of a lot of sick people and he delivered a lot of babies. Half of Cache Valley, I'm sure. And because of his extraordinary kindness and concern, he has a lot of friends who are very generous with him (and his descendants). My favorite affiliation he has is with a peach farmer from Brigham City. Every year, we get to go into the peach orchards with my grandpa and pick peaches before the pickers. My grandpa pays for all of the peaches and claims they are our Christmas present. We usually end up with a few "Christmas presents" before the year is over. . .

It is quite the treat, and this year was the best because #1 I got to go. (Last year I was home taking care of a sick kid.) #2 It didn't rain. #3 We actually took some pictures to document this wonderful tradition because I was there and it didn't rain. #4 We've learned our lessons about a few things and know how many peaches we can handle and to leave grounders on the ground.




Now I'm thinking I should have had Steve take the picture so it could have been a true four-generational photo.

I think this is the one picture I got where Adam doesn't have a peach in his mouth. (He just dropped it.)

P.S. Don't tell my grandpa you saw his picture on my blog. He doesn't think pictures belong on the internet. (To him, the internet = black hole. To me, he is the best grandpa in the world and everyone should get to see his charming smile.)

10 comments:

Debra said...

Oh, I'm jelous! I'm dreaming of a my favorite bedtime treat...peaches, with 1/2 & 1/2 and topped off with a spoonful of sugar. I'll be coming to steal at least 2. Thanks Grandpa Malouf!

Min D. said...

Lucky. They look delicious and I am jealous.

- Mindy S.

Joanie said...

I can't even express how jealous I am. I was blessed with one opportunity a few years back to pick fresh peaches and I ate at least 5 peaches everyday until I knew they wouldn't keep much longer. Then I froze them and used them for smoothies. Now I am stuck buying them on the side of the road for way too much, or shipping them in from Boise and they just aren't as good. One more reason I should be living in Utah still.

The Millers said...

Those look like really beautiful peaches. I have bought peaches twice this Summer from my local grocery store, and both times they have been complete busts. Such great pictures, such a neat tradition, and I agree, your Grandpa is darling.

J&Jchambers said...

your family is so cute, and i'm glad you posted a pic of your grandpa, he looks magical! i love lucy's (she's the younger one right?:) boots! sorry i didn't make it to the farmers market! are you going to be there next week?

Lisa said...

Yum! I love peach season too, and I just picked way to many at my mothers house. We are going into peach overload here, but I can't think of anything more wonderful in the world. Happy canning!!

kimballklan said...

I love fresh peaches I can't wait till we can get our own trees planted. I can't believe that Derrick is 20! Did the adoption finally go through? I saw the pic of your family all in white that's awsome if it did...cute blog

Amanda said...

Those are some huuuuge peaches! And they were quite delicious I might add. Max quite enjoyed his. Thanks for sharing!
I'm so glad you got pics of this to document. I am so jealous. I love peaches almost more than any other fruit. Hope you're able to get everything done with them that you want to!

Molly said...

sooooo jealous. you have got to get me in there girl. even if I just tag a long and take pictures?!? and again... could your grandpa be ANY cuter??

Aneesa Bee said...

Lovely pictures! Much better weather than last year! Maybe you could invite me sometime??