11.13.2009

Home Schooled at the Kitchen Counter



Much like other mornings, Rachel and Lucy begged me to let them add sugar to their pre-sweetened cereal. Since we weren't in a hurry to get to school, and there was no need to bribe them to eat fast, I denied their request.

They didn't believe that their MultiGrain Cheerios already had sugar in them, so I taught them how to read the the Nutrition Facts on the side of the box. We discovered their bowls of cereal already contained 6 grams (about 1.5 teaspoons) of sugar. They got really excited and proceeded to compare sugar measurements in different cereals. (Every single box we had in the pantry.)

Rachel put the boxes in ascending order from Cheerios (1 gram) to Frosted Mini Wheats (12 grams). And then she realized why her three favorite cereals are Frosted Flakes, Corn Pops, and Frosted Mini Wheats.

Rachel was enjoying her second day home from school (stomach ache) and Lucy was playing hooky (fake stomach ache), so I was happy to have contributed to their education.

Because then I sent them off to watch cartoons for the day.

5 comments:

Hess said...

Who would have thought the Mini Wheats had that much sugar!! The healthy looking ones are really never that great for you all though I think it has a lot of fiber. I love your school at home. Taking the opportunity to teach them every chance you get is wonderful. I need to do this better. thanks for the reminder:)!

Kaylynn said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. It is good to hear from you. I finally put your blog on my google reader so I will stay more up to date. When I read your title of this post, I thought you really did home school your kids. Then I finished reading it.

Josh M said...

Love it. My favorite cereal is Oh's. I literally ate it every morning from six grade until I graduated high school. Sugar per serving: 12 grams (just happen to have a box on hand). That number explains a few things - like how the freshman fifteen turned into a late 20's thirty.

Ramanda said...

Holy Moley! Do you have enough cold cereal? That is an insane amount of cereal!
Teaching moments like that are greatespecially when they ease the guilt of a cartoon day!
I thoroughly enjoy your posts!

Aneesa said...

Emily,
you are too funny! Thanks for making me laugh. I'm also impressed by the variety in your cereal cupboard. I might just have to drop in for breakfast sometime.