1.09.2010

Ice Skating

In a very bizarre turn of events, Steve lifted his lifelong ban of ice skating and decided to accompany us (me, my friend, Jess, Derrick, and 7 kids) to the Ice Sheet this afternoon. He never once fell the six feet, six inches down to the cold, hard ice below, so maybe he can be persuaded to go with us again sometime in the future.

And since these pictures all look like they were taken with an iPhone, let's just pretend they were.




We considered leaving Adam home with Steve, but since Adam had more fun than the rest of our kids, I sure am glad we took him. There's something about having no fear and being too young to complain about uncomfortable skates.

I think if I were to do things over again, I would only take one kid at a time for their first (and probably second) experience ice skating. There were LOTS of skates to tie, retie looser, take off, get different sizes, put back on, tie, take off for a break, put back on, tie again, and finally take off. It was Kylie's third time ice skating, and she was pretty independent. This is all very good information to consider as we plan to teach our kids how to ski.

Add in pizza and hot chocolate from Doolittle's Deli and the girls had the time of their life. "As good as a birthday party?" I asked Rachel.

"No, way better!" she exclaimed.

Darn. I should have capitalized on that.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I *love* that shot of you and Rachel. It is definitely frame worthy.

Ryanne said...

We're going next week so wish us luck. My sis-in-law just told me about baby legs too.

cathy said...

so you really wouldn't try taking them all at the same time for their first try? We are actually planning on going tommorow and I was going to take all three and take turns staying with Sophie-the youngest. Maybe we need to rethink this a little.

emily ballard said...

I would say try to get a babysitter for Sophie so you and Trent can each be one-on-one with your other girls. But it also depends what the side railing around the rink is like. The Ice Sheet's was not designed for beginners. . .

Jenny said...

It's too bad you don't live here, they have a hot chocolate club on Wednesday's at the eccles ice center where kids skate free only from (ten am to 12 and kindergarten or younger), adults are five bucks and at the end everyone gets a free hot chocolate or fountain drink.

Lori said...

ha. looks like a great time!