2.14.2010

Just so you know

On Friday, when I was in my office, typing my last blog post on my computer, I left my phone upstairs.

I shouldn't do that.

When I finally went and got it, I saw three missed calls from my kids' school.

Call #1 was from Rachel. She was sick.
Call #2 was from Lucy's teacher. Lucy couldn't get the button on her pants undone fast enough and had an accident in the restroom. She was in need of a new pair of pants. And Rachel was still sick.
Call #3 was from Lucy's teacher. Lucy was also going to need new shoes and socks.

Awesome.

Steve went and picked both of them up. Lucy took a bath, got dressed, and made it back to school, just in time to distribute valentines with her classmates.

This was, however, a vast improvement over Lucy's previous accident at school. Last year, when it was her "special day" at preschool, Lucy was standing up in front of the class, talking about herself when she had an accident. It didn't phase her one bit. Nor was she interested in calling me to bring a new change of clothes. Imagine how embarrassed I was when I picked her up after preschool and Miss Jill told me she had peed her pants earlier that morning.

And, just so you know, Rachel wasn't really sick. She had been up way too late the night before, working on a sequel to the award-winning book she wrote as a kindergartener for her school's "Love Your Library" contest. At 9:30 pm, she was not finished, so I told her she wasn't going to be able to participate in the contest this year because it was time for bed. She called Steve and talked him into coming home to help her. Just before 11:00 pm, Rachel fell asleep at the kitchen table and was carried to bed. She woke up two different times during the night so worried about sleeping in/finishing her book/getting it turned in on time that she made herself sick. It was a rough morning getting her ready for school. And she lasted a whole hour before she came home "sick".

Good times.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Holden was in a different class last week and the teacher wouldn't let him go to the bathroom. He peed his pants and didn't tell anyone.

At least he had on a long shirt.