5.27.2010

Havasupai



Steve and I just spent a few days backpacking in Havasupai. It was amazing; these pictures do not begin to capture the beauty of the light blue and green water against the red rock. Nor do they capture the third-world feel of walking through the Supai village, the stray dogs that followed us around, and the USPS mail that is brought in and out by mule every day.

We learned all sorts of things that we would do differently next time:

pack lighter packs (the village store has plenty of food and supplies, priced appropriately)
coordinate with other campers in group to avoid bringing duplicate supplies
don't waste your money at the grand canyon caverns inns, just sleep in your car for a few hours
hike in and out early in the morning to avoid the sun (4:00 am early)
even though you are exhausted, don't stop at one of the first campsites you see
charge your camera battery before you or pack a charger (electricity available at the village)

We had a good time discussing what we would do differently if we ran the place. But we all agreed on one thing they were doing right: the Phoenix Composting Toilets are incredible. Seriously, why don't they use them everywhere?

I think the Havasupai Tribe's website must have been under construction the week before we left. (Quite a few things are undergoing improvements after the flash flood two years ago.) It was a last-minute trip, and we didn't come across any sites that provided comprehensive information about the hike. I should have just checked wikipedia. I just found plenty of good stuff there.

Thanks, Kyle & MaRea, for inviting us!

10 comments:

blakeandcourt said...

That is gorgeous!! Looks like a way fun trip!

AngelaW said...

My trip to Havasupai was my very most favorite adventure of my college years. I still talk about it and break out my photo album to admire the pictures. I can't wait until I can take my own family there. I am so jealous that you got to go!

Kacie said...

Looks amazing! I am glad you guys got to go.

Lori said...

that's something i've always wanted to do. how fun! when we go we'll be talking to you.

J&Jchambers said...

oh how i love this place. my friend just texted me that she was heading there yesterday and now i read you blog and you just got back, and now i am itchin' to go! I love your pictures. but you're right, photos just don't do that place justice. you have to see it. still your pictures are really good though! i am glad you guys got to go!

Kaylynn said...

You are an awesome photographer!

Ryanne said...

Incredible pictures!! I am living vicariously through your adventures:)

cathy said...

I would LOVE to have been there. You guys look so happy. Sometimes I miss the west!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! It was such a fun trip, we need to return in 5 years.

MaRea

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! It was such a fun trip, we need to return in 5 years.

MaRea