7.10.2010

It's Saturday night, and I am already late for church



There are a handful of things that give me anxiety: having my blood taken, yellow jackets, speaking in front of large groups, feeling like I am going to pass out, and Saturday nights.

Saturday nights give me anxiety because of 9:00 am church on Sunday mornings. I am not a morning person and I don't wake up to an alarm clock. I am also a perpetual procrastinator. And a crammer. As in, I am always trying to cram way too many things into my schedule. And I have too many little kids. And a husband who is absent on Sunday mornings.

I used to have fewer kids. And a less-absent husband who would return from early morning meetings right at 8:45 am to rescue me. Even so, we used to be late. But now I am trying to be responsible and respectful, and, with that, comes the anxiety.

On Saturday nights, I sit and watch the clock, counting down the number of hours I have until church starts and thinking about everything that has to be done before I go. Like right now. It's already ten o'clock and I still have three kids awake. I need to fold the load of clean laundry in the dryer, start a new load of laundry in the washer, go grocery shopping, clean out the car, fill up the gas, gather some reimbursement receipts for Relief Society, write a check for tithing, and make some sign-up sheets for Relief Society. I also need to have a shower, brush my teeth (twice) and spend some time talking to/watching television with Steve as he decompresses from work. I will also need to wake up four kids, dress them for church, do three girls' hair, pack their bags for church, and feed them breakfast. The last ten or fifteen minutes are usually very frantic as I finally get ready myself, pack my bag for church, and find something to eat. Somewhere in between all of that getting ready for bed and getting ready for church stuff, I also need to get some sleep.

I am down to less than ELEVEN hours before we need to leave for church. And that is why it feels like I am already late.

Steve emailed me a link to this article back in January and asked if it sounded familiar. Know that I should leave more time, but instead push it, clinging to the illusion that I can get places faster than is humanly possible?

Guilty.

Transition time? Interesting. And full eight hours? Are you serious?!?

Bottom line of the article: Plan for transition time and spend your transition time plotting how to maximize your outcome.

Now I really need to go do the laundry. I probably ought to clean the bathrooms too. Because amid the craziness of Sunday mornings, I always seem to notice how dirty the mirror is. And that the trash needs to be emptied. And that the bathtub needs to be scrubbed. Hmmm. Maybe I have some other issues too.

P.S. Steve has worked Saturday nights our entire marriage. Sometimes I don't mind because it gets me out of all sorts of social obligations/invitations that would only further complicate my Saturday nights.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have the same problem. Usually my "to-do" list for Monday that I legitimately think I can accomplish that day actually takes me all week.

I am amazed at how much you accomplish and how patient you are with your kids and how thoughtful you are of others you are through it all. I really admire you so much!

You are wonderful!

Rebecca said...

And I love your title for this post!

Lori said...

ah how i love this post. i love that article too. i'm the opposite, however, if we aren't 10 minutes early - we're late. drives van crazy.

Ramanda said...

Guilty!!! This post gave me anxiety! I am the worst at getting anywhere on time and church is the worst! I have five kids and a husband that works most Sundays so I am lucky to get there in time to take the last half of the sacrament.(It counts still, right?) At least I can take comort in the fact that I am not the only one. Procrastinators unite!

The Ballard's said...

...and yet you stopped to post...
Hilarious!!

Aneesa Bee said...

LOVED this post. Totally know where you're coming from. I've found that Saturday afternoon is a good time to pack the sunday bag--but other than that, I feel for ya!!!