8.22.2010

The Second Day of School


The First Day of School was not properly photographed because of an incident that involved Rachel fainting, clonking her head on the tile floor in the bathroom, seizing up for a good 30-40 seconds while I screamed at her, cried, screamed for Steve, and then later cried some more. Lucy did her share of screaming too. It was all pretty dramatic. And way more emotional than I ever anticipated any first day of school being.

Even though she had a large goose egg on the back of her head, Rachel really, really wanted to go to school. So after she spent some time in bed, drank a Coke, and ate a brownie, Steve took her and Lucy to school. I watched the clock until I felt like she had spend enough time in class to feel like she had been to the first day.

At 11:00 am, I was, officially, the first parent of the year to check my child out of school.

We drove up to our pediatrician in Logan who walked into the exam room, looked at her chart, and declared that it was a textbook case of hair-combing syncope. I laughed because I thought he was trying to be funny, but it turns out there really is such a thing. Now that Rachel has fainted three or four times, it is possible that she has vasovagal syncope, like me. It also looks like she is part of the eight percent of syncope patients that exhibit seizure-like activity when they lose consciousness. Our doctor assured me that although children are often misdiagnosed, these are not epileptic seizures. (Phew.)

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for all the time and money you spent getting me properly diagnosed so I don't need to go through all of that with Rachel. Our doctor told us she wouldn't need any further testing unless she ever takes more than 60 seconds regaining consciousness after a fainting episode. And since I already know that salt tablets, caffeine, and phentermine (a.k.a. speed) aren't very effective in preventing syncope, we will stick to packing lots of snacks everywhere we go. . . including church. And having Rachel sit down when I do her hair.

So here is Lucy, the first-grader, and Rachel, the second-grader on their second day of school.

As expected, they look older than they did last year.


I was a little nervous how things would go at home with the two little kids, without Rachel and Lucy there to entertain them. I survived just fine and didn't even leave the house.

We spent some time working outside in the garden. Adam was way too busy to stop and pose for a picture, but Kaleigh happily obliged.


Adam takes his gardening very seriously. Sydney and Talmage came over and helped Adam find these beauties.


They were rewarded with popsicles.



. . . . .

We have now made it through an entire week of school. We have found lots of things to do in Rachel and Lucy's absence like going to the Treehouse and going shopping. I get a lot less crazy looks from people at the store and I only have to count to two instead of four. In fact, the hardest part of my day now is actually when Rachel and Lucy get home.

Let's just say that I am a big fan of school. I am not a big fan of homework.

Especially when we have more important things to do. Like go swimming.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Darling pictures. Such cute girls -- they are getting so big. And I am so sorry about your traumatic first day with Rachel. Yikes. And I can't believe you still drive to Logan to go to the Pediatrician.

Julee said...

Aww, they are growing too fast.. super adorable though that's for sure!

Min said...

That swim picture is Awesome! and the one with Kaleigh eating the popsicle between the garden pictures; okay, basically every picture of her is awesome. Also, those are great first/second day of school pictures. And vasovagal syncope? Wow, who would have guessed.

Josh M said...

I think you digitally altered those pictures to make them look taller.....

Josh M said...

And I think it's awesome you cite primary literature for hair-combing syncope. I'm on a pediatric rotation right now in Ontario, OR. I will make it my goal to diagnose somebody's kid with this before I'm through. (Whether they have it or not!)

Joanie said...

Okay, the syncope thing is kind of freaking me out. Why do they vasovagal during hair-combing? Is it because they are bracing themselves or holding their breath? Or screaming? Or does it just happen while they are standing there doing nothing? Were you actually doing Rachel's hair at the time? Brushing my little girl's curly hair is always a nightmare, but I doubt it would come to this. Crazy. I love that you let her go to school for a little bit :)

Ryanne said...

Oh my gosh! I'm glad she is ok now. It is amazing how grown up the girls are now, they're beautiful!

emily ballard said...

Joanie, there is something in the scalp that triggers the vasovagal response. Standing up for a long period of time before eating breakfast surely didn't help. And yes, she passed out while I was doing her hair. (I was almost finished.)

Jodi said...

How scary!! I'm so glad she is okay and that you know what the problem is and what to do about it. I think that as a mother, you have officially been through it ALL. You should write a book. Seriously. Your pics are incredible! Your kids are so adorable. I wish Adam could come to Transformer Preschool too. I would love to teach him! What a cute kid!

Lori said...

oh yikes. that makes for a crazy first day!

Aneesa Bee said...

Emily, I love love love love love your blog. Thank you. hahahahahah

Aneesa Bee said...

not that I'm laughing about the goose egg--but seriously, you will NEVER forget this first day ever!!!