9.22.2010

Canning Explosion

What started out yesterday as a fun project with Adam . . . turned into a early-morning disaster at the Ballard house.


I was up late canning marinara sauce last night and left the last batch of jars in a water bath on the stove while I went to shower and get ready for bed.

But then instead of going back downstairs to turn off the stove, I forgot about them and went to sleep.

I woke up at 5:00 am to a bad smell of burnt smoke and immediately realized what had happened. I hurried Steve out of bed and we ran downstairs together. He went to grab a towel to remove the lid, and just as he turned his back, the pot exploded and shot shards of glass and scalding hot tomato sauce everywhere.


The smoke bellowed out of the pot and set off the smoke detectors, waking up all of the kids. I was standing clear across the kitchen, but still got burned and cut in a few places. I ran back upstairs, leaving a small trail from my bloody toe, to calm down the crying kids, while Steve frantically opened all the windows.

We hurried to get properly dressed, in case the police department showed up. (Our alarm is pretty loud. . . thankfully, they didn't come.)

I think we were both in a bit of shock at what had just happened. I should have taken a picture of the ceiling, which was mostly red, and probably needs to be repainted. And there were really pieces of glass everywhere.

We are completely amazed that Steve didn't get seriously injured; he certainly should have. All he ended up with was a couple of very small cuts and a few tiny pieces of glass in his neck and head.

We called Steve's mom, who is up early in the morning for work, and she and Richard came and rescued us. And I mean rescued us. They brought a bucket and rags and went right to work. Have I ever told you that I have the best in-laws in the world? Because I do.

Most of the mess has been cleaned up, but much of the burnt smell lingers. And since the microwave (which had tomato sauce on the inside of it) is broken, I guess it's time to call Mike.

We are very thankful that things weren't worse, and know that Steve was definitely protected. But, boy, do I wish I could rewind my life and do last night over again.


I'll try again next year.

13 comments:

J&Jchambers said...

yikes!! one time i put a glass pan of brownies on the stove top and someone accidentally turned the stove on.. and BOOM.. the pan exploded sending glass and brownie chunks flying everywhere! So crazy. I'm glad you guys are o.k. if you need any help cleaning let us know!

Josh McFarland said...

This is pretty amazing. I just finished reading the previous post about not crying during harvest... sorry it wasn't meant to be this year. You can see a singed spot on the back of Steve's shirt in this photo - wow. I also like that the pot is so innocently sitting in the background in the photo of Adam... it's a bit like foreshadowing. Glad everyone is OK.

Jenny said...

my grandma did that once with eggs. at least your house won't smell like sulfur. glad you guys didn't die or anything.

and after reading that, I will give you at least three bottles of peaches.

Rebecca said...

I am so so glad that you guys are ok and I feel really bad that I was gone and couldn't help you:(

MaRea Hess said...

That is scary!!! What a blessing that everyone is ok. There is nothing more painful than serious burns. Kyle and I always say "Steve and Emily must be living right." manly because you can sell any house fast. Glad your all Ok!

Stephanie said...

Wow. I'm speechless. I can't believe nothing more happened. Thank goodness. I'm sorry about you sauce. Still in shock!

AngelaW said...

Glad everything turned out ok! I don't think that crying about an explosion counts as a regular harvest cry.

The Clawson"s said...

I'm glad you're alive! Was it in a pressure cooker or just a hot water bath? I think you just described my worstest ever nightmare. I still stress every time I use a pressure cooker. My mom told me it would explode when I was little if I wasn't careful, and I still dread it to this day.

Ryanne said...

Yikes! You are definitely watched over/blessed. And you do have the best in-laws; cleaning up broken glass is the worst.

Amanda said...

Ummmm wow friend. Glad you're all ok. Totally understandable that you cried. And I'm pretty sure that makes my resolve against canning just a titch stronger. ;)

Molly said...

Aw mannnnnn. Glad you two survived.

Dani said...

Phew! It does sound like miracles took place. So glad nothing more serious happened. And so sorry for the mess! What a nightmare.

Lori said...

seeing the pictures now after hearing your story firsthand makes me feel even worse for you.

crying totally acceptable.