11.14.2010

Family History Library

Last Friday, we went to go visit my aunt and uncle who are just about to finish serving their mission at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.


It was my first trip to the library, and I learned quite a few things:

The Family History Library is the largest library of its kind in the world. The building is 142,000 square feet on five floors. (It's huge.) The collection includes over 2.4 million rolls of microfilmed genealogical records. An estimated 1500 people visit the library every day. You do not have to be a member of the LDS Church to use the Family History Library. In fact, most of the library's patrons aren't.



We watched a short video and went for a quick tour of the building. Then "Sister Adams" went to work helping Rachel and Lucy find their ancestors.


Rachel was most interested in learning about Grandma Whitney. Lucy wanted to find things about Lucile Clark White and Edna May Prigmore. Can you see why?

My aunt is an expert at finding things and helped Lucy find pictures of the ships that some of our ancestors came to America on. She gave each of the girls a folder and printed out a number of papers for them.


This is the ship that my kids' Great-Great Grandpa Charles Henry Prigmore and Great-Great Grandma Bertha Windross Prigmore came on.



And this is the ship that their Great Grandma Ausdrig Piranian Malouf sailed on.


They were amused that she was listed as a male, so my aunt printed this list of passengers out for them as well.


Adam stayed uncharacteristically quiet, thanks to Curious George.

After we left, Lucy jumped into the air, and exclaimed, "That was awesome!" They really had a great time. Their folders are already carefully placed in their treasure boxes. (Lucy actually took her pictures to school for show-and-tell.)

Lucy wrote this the very next day:


Then Lucy asked me when we can go back again. I told her that they were about to finish their mission, so they wouldn't be there anymore. She looked at me, puzzled, and asked, "But anyone can go in there, right?" I told her yes. So then she asked, "Then why can't she just go back with us again sometime?" So, Aunt Marilyn, should you ever want a little girl to accompany you to the Family History Library, I've got one waiting to go with you!

3 comments:

Aneesa Bee said...

Wow--I have never seen that boat before. That made me miss Grandma all over again. I am always so interested to learn then things that you are learning. Very cool. My exclamation key is broken, or this comment would be full of them, because really, I am excited--you just can't tell from my typing.

Ryanne said...

The family history library is amazing! We'll have to add it to our list to visit next time we're at Temple Square. Do they do the tour for anyone who stops in or was that special since your aunt is there?

byoung said...

hey emily

just tell your friend to check out my blog-i don't think its private at the moment.

becca