11.23.2010

Patience and Precision

A good baker needs to have patience and precision. I have neither.

I am a decent cook. . . with dishes that allow for improvising. But baking has never really worked out for me. I'm not very patient. Or precise. That probably explains why I'm a bad sewer too.

Steve is a much better baker than me, but he lacks in the time department. I'm pretty sure his love for me would double if I started baking bread. So one of these days when I'm ready to impress him, I will.

Our favorite service missionary in our ward taught her recipe for Pumpkin Bars at our November Relief Society cooking class. They were so good! She sent her husband to our house a couple days later with a huge plate of them for our family.

We are hooked.

I've made four batches in two days.

Steve told me if I could be a good Pumpkin Bar baker, then that would suffice. . . I wouldn't need to be able to bake anything else. (I don't really think he's willing to abandon his dream of a bread-baking wife, but that's what he said.)

So here's the recipe. . . it's super quick and easy. And by the way, it's really more like a pumpkin cake. I want to try my next batch in a bundt pan.


Pumpkin Bars
by Debbie Olsen

1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups pumpkin
4 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together, pour on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool and ice.

Cream Cheese Icing:

4 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 cups powdered sugar (or more, depending on consistency you want)
3/4 stick butter
1 Tbsp milk

Mix until creamy and spread over pumpkin bars.

I was bragging to Steve about my new baking skills and he told me this was just a phase. . . like going to the gym. Watch me prove him wrong.

6 comments:

Mommy Named Meg said...

Those were so good! I'm going to have to make them for my annual January cooking challenge. That is if I'm not back on bed rest by then.

i'm h.mac said...

i am obsessed with this recipe. it circles our neighborhood constantly during fall months. i think if left alone with a pan of it, it might be gone in a 24 hour period with me at the helm.....in fact, sice no one in my family can gag down pumpkin pie, this is our substitute. sooooo good!

Tanna said...

You are too funny! I made this same recipe today. A girl in our ward introduced me to these yummy babies just a few weeks ago and I've made them three times. I add chocolate chips to mine. It was fun seeing you the other day! Hope you guys have a nice holiday.

Ryanne said...

2 of my favorite things, cream cheese and pumpkin, sounds delicious! And you kind of nailed me on the head too, I also lack precision and patience.

Lori said...

that sounds fantastic. guess what i'm making tomorrow?

Lucinda said...

I'm going to try your pumpkin bars. If you want to learn to make bread the old fashion way. Kneading by hand and just tossing in the ingredients. Come visit for a couple of hours. I'll teach you how to make bread the way it has been done in my family for generations. It is easy and very cheap. Nothing fancy but will make your house smell like heaven.
Love ya,