12.02.2010

Thankful

No, I did not participate in November's 30 Days of Gratitude. And yes, I know it is December.

But I would like to share a few things that I am feeling very thankful for today.

#1 I am so thankful all of those spam emails have stopped. I was getting seven or eight of them a day sent to my regular email address and dozens sent to my yahoo address. And then when I passed them on to all of the contacts in my yahoo address book, I got even more emails (and phone calls) from people notifying me of what I had done.

Derrick was the first one I knew who got the virus. I told him he must have accidentally clicked on a link, even though he promised me he hadn't. (He was right; I was wrong.) I had never seen a computer virus spread like that before! And then we realized it was affecting Macs too. What?!? Which brings me to number two.

#2 I am thankful for technology, and more specifically, Apple products. I honestly don't know what I would do without my computer. I am also happy that so many friends and family members have converted to Macs, even though that means Mac users are increasing so quickly that viruses are now being written to target my computer. (More on my other favorite devices later.)

For now, you can enjoy a re-post of Rachel's video from March 2009. I just changed the setting of this video to make it available to the public. Last year, we received a few horrible comments (touchy subject?) and decided to make it private, but I just made it public again and disabled the comments and ratings. This is for you, Audrey:



#3 I am thankful to live in Ogden and be surrounded by so many wonderful neighbors. I don't think there are very many people in the world who can really say that their community is improving. Homes are being restored, crime is dropping, a city is being rebuilt. And I get to live right in the heart of it! (It isn't going unnoticed either.) I am so excited to see what the future holds. A new recreation center with an indoor water park and a Hilton hotel right across the street from Sonora Grill sounds good to me!


#4 I am thankful for Derrick. And that this miracle of bringing him from South Africa to join our family in Utah worked. Steve and I watched a special edition of Nightline last night that told the story of a reporter helping an Iraqi teen come to the United States to go to college. Things didn't turn out so well. You can read the story here: Reporter's Notebook: When Dan Met Dan.

Derrick has grown from this scrawny little boy we picked up at the airport into a responsible young man. Watching the reporter's story reminded us how different our outcome could have been.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

You are awesome

Kacie said...

That video is HI-LAR-IOUS!!! I love it so much.

The Ballard's said...

I told you, we MUST keep this "Apple" knowledge to ourselves. This kind of out-right testifying will only cause more people to convert. It is this kind of thing that gets the spam emails going...Thanks for converting me:)

Min said...

I am totally opposed to the water park and hotel. I was also opposed to the Carnival that is now called The Junction. This historic town of Ogden is being ruined. Tear down the old, and build new, boring and un-unique. Want new? go to South Jordan.

Oh, and I'm grateful that you let me vent on your blog.

Thanks for a grateful post.

Rebecca said...

Yay! A Hilton and an indoor waterpark! Yay for D! And Yay yay for Macs...I feel like I had at least a little bit to do with that since I was the original Mac person in the fam:) You forgot a VERY important thankful though...grateful to live by me!:) jk I'm not sure I should make the list;)

Josh M said...

I'm just glad that Ogden ranked above Provo. And I do think Ogden is doing a decent job of preserving historical areas while encouraging growth. I have undoubtedly seen an improvement in Ogden over the last 12 years. The Ogden mall wasn't exactly historic. I do wonder about the Hilton. Emily, what's your take on the Hilton? Do you think Ogden has a large enough market to fill more rooms? And yes, I also love our three Macs.

emily ballard said...

Josh, Steve says that Ogden is one of the only cities in the country where hotel occupancy rates are rising and where the average cost per room is rising. Both good signs. He also says that there are different conventions, etc. that require a certain number of available hotel rooms before a city will be considered to host it.