1.19.2011

Deceptively Delicious



I spent Saturday afternoon pureeing. I've never used that as a verb before. Probably because I've never spent my afternoon pureeing before.

My refrigerator and freezer are now well stocked with fruit and vegetable purees so I can follow Jessica Seinfield's recipes from her book, Deceptively Delicious.

There are so many recipes that I am excited to try out on my family. . . Brownies with Carrot and Spinach, Chicken Nuggets with Broccoli, Deviled Eggs with Cauliflower, Quesadillas with Butternut Squash, Homemade Ketchup with Carrot, Chocolate Chip Cookies with Chickpeas. . .

I was going to make the Italian Meatloaf with Carrot Monday night, but my father-in-law was coming over for dinner and he was less than excited when I told him it was going to be a healthy version made out of ground turkey. (I never even told him that anything was going to be deceptively hidden inside.)

Actually, I got sidetracked at DownEast and ran out of time, so I ended up serving rotisserie chicken from Costco. DownEast might officially be a little too close to my house.

But back to the purees. And a fun little contest!

The first person to leave a comment that correctly identifies all five purees wins their own copy of the Deceptively Delicious cookbook. (They were such a good deal, I had to buy two.)

Good Luck!



15 comments:

Little Cherry Blossoms said...

crap this is hard:
carrot
butternut squash
spinach
homemade ketchup with carrot
and....I have no idea on this one....but I will go with plums? yikes

Mommy Named Meg said...

carrot
squash
spinach
Sweet potato?
This one is hard brown can be many things, but I'm going to say blueberry/banana puree.

Probably wrong on those...lol

Ramanda said...

Ok...I'll take a crack at it.
1) sweet potato or pumpkin
2) Butternut
3) Spinach
4) Carrot
5) Banana

Who knew there were so many orangey colored veggies. I am always sneeking veggies into meals but this is taking it to the next level.

Melanie said...

You don't know me...I am Melissa Campbells sister...and I like your blog :).

I wanna guess.
1 - Carrot
2 - Squash
3 - Spinach
4 - Sweet Potato
5 - Beans.

Shafferprincess said...

I'm gonna say:
Pumpkin
Squash
spinach
carrots
raisins

Tawnya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tawnya said...

Sweet Potatoes/yams
Butternut Squash
Broccoli
Carrots
Chickpeas

What a fun Idea

Tawnya said...

But, the green one could be spinach too....it's tricky!

The Ballard's said...

Okay, winner winner healthy dinner!!
1)Pumpkin
2)Squash
3)Spinach
4)Applesauce
5)Bananas

@udj said...

I have this book and I do like it, however I think it is funny that she calls for margarine and white flour.

1) Sweet Potatoes
2) Butternut Squash
3) Spinach
4) Carrots
5) Pears

emily ballard said...

Okay, we have a winner! The correct answers are:

1. Pumpkin
2. Acorn Squash
3. Spinach
4. Apples (Golden Delicious and Courtlands)
5. Bananas

Number four was the tricky one because I pureed the apples without peeling them.

Angie might have seen me making fruit leather out of the applesauce, and I'm going to call that a FAIR advantage. (It just means that more of you should come visit me!)

Thanks for playing!

Rebecca said...

I can vouch for both of the mac & cheese recipes in that book...very tasty!

Stephanie said...

My kids didn't like any of the recipes that you didn't bake. Such as the quesadillas. I found that book for $3 at Big Lots and had such a fun time with it. I tried most of the recipes with baby food first to see if the kids would like them. Then I did a bunch of pureeing as well:)

emily ballard said...

Angie says the prize needs to go to someone who didn't come over to my house and sample the applesauce with skins. . .

So the prize goes to the next closest entrant. . . which is: RAMANDA!

You win. (Again!)

The Ballard's said...

Yeah and it would be deceptive of me to take the prize, and pretend like I even cook:) Enjoy Ramanda!!