3.31.2011

The Miracles


I have been meaning write this for some time now. It is personal. And may disappear from my blog sometime in the future. But for now, I would like to share it.

. . . . .

In addition to the tremendous miracle of my diagnosis, there were many other miracles associated with my surgery. We know it was more than a coincidence that we were referred to a skilled surgeon, conveniently located right here in Ogden, who was competent to perform the operation. And we know it was more than a coincidence that he just happened to be trained by the leading MALS researcher/surgeon in the world.

. . . . .

At the beginning of my post about the surgery, I gave a brief description of the scheduling mishap. Saying we were frustrated when I was notified that my operation would be rescheduled for three weeks later would be an understatement. It wasn't just a matter of convenience, I was in bad shape. I was sick every night, and we were desperately counting down the days until surgery. Waiting three weeks just didn't seem possible; we went to sleep feeling helpless and dejected.

Steve left for work the next morning and told me that he prayed that if this was truly Heavenly Father's will, that a way would be made possible for me to have the surgery as originally scheduled. He told me I needed to pray for the same thing.

I was discouraged, disheartened, distressed.

Dr. Steppacher had already explained the situation (and apologized profusely). It was impossible for him to perform the surgery, as planned. And just because it wasn't going to be done when we wanted it to be done wouldn't mean it wasn't the Lord's will, would it? What good would it do to pray for something that wasn't possible?

But I knelt down and prayed. With my children. A humble prayer. A pleading prayer.

Not ten minutes later, Dr. Steppacher called to say that he was able to get me on the schedule for March 4. Just one day later than initially planned. I immediately called Steve, in tears. Thankful. And a little ashamed.

Prayer is real. Prayers are answered. Even when we lack faith.

. . . . .

My grandpa called me the night before my surgery saying that he had prayed that they would open me up and find a simpler solution. I said thank you. Of course it would be nice to find a simpler solution. But I the results from the angiogram had already confirmed that a bypass was necessary. We were just hoping the surgeons didn't find more damage than anticipated.

The morning of my surgery, I was given a priesthood blessing by Steve and his dad. Among other things, Steve prayed that the doctors would find a simple solution as they operated on me. Hearing it for the second time got my attention. Is it possible that the Lord will bless us with things that we have deemed to be impossible?

He did.

Instead of the bypass, Dr. Steppacher was able to use a patch to restore blood flow through the celiac artery. A solution that hadn't even been considered. A simpler (and far better) solution.

With God all things are possible.

. . . . .

My recovery, especially my recovery at home, has been slower and more difficult than I expected. On one particularly burdensome day, I was reading an inspirational book that talked about the Lord answering our prayers through other people. I knew that was possible. I've had my prayers answered through other people numerous times before. But how was that going to help me then? My kids were already being taken care of by a wonderful mother-in-law. Kind friends were scheduled to bring dinners. But still, that didn't seem to be what I needed. I was sitting in my chair, gazing out the window. Sick to my stomach, in pain, frustrated, and lonely.

And then the doorbell rang. Flowers. Beautiful roses. I wish I could find the note to record exactly what was written, but it said something about hoping that I could feel the love and concern from my family and friends. It was exactly what I needed at exactly the right moment.

Thank you, MaRea.

The Lord loves each of us. And He is aware of our needs. And He will answer our prayers.

. . . . .

And finally, I would like to share one other thing from my priesthood blessing. Steve blessed me that the angels of heaven would surround me in the operating room. As they wheeled me away from Steve towards the operating room, I was as nervous and apprehensive as I had ever been. But as soon as I entered the operating room, I felt it. I felt them. I really did.

. . . . .

Thank you all for your prayers. They have bolstered me up and brought me peace.

(And thank you, Jack, for fasting for me. Your eight-year-old faith inspires me.)

18 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad I got to read it before it disappears. I know that through the experience of having a sick baby I learned how real the prayers of others are. I never really understood that before. The power of prayer is real! Now, I think that is what is sustaining me through this period of time as well. I am so grateful for the prayers others offer in my behalf and on the behalf of those I love. I'm so glad you are feeling better. I love listening to S&T pray for you and Kacie:)

(sorry I didn't bring over the paper...today was crazy!)

The Clawson"s said...

Amen. What a sweet sincere testimony. Thanks for sharing! Print it out before it disappears. Your grandkids need this......and so did I!

cathy said...

thanks for sharing this-I didn't know about any of this-I hope all continues to go well and that your needs are met. It's such a blessing to have good friends and family.

The Millers said...

Beautiful post, Em. Glad I got a chance to read it before it disappears. I truly hope that your medical problems are in the distant past from here on out.

Aneesa Bee said...

Emily, What a wonderful, special thing for you to share and to experience. I am so grateful for the blessings in my life, and as I read your feelings, I was reminded of so many of them. Thank you.

Tiffany said...

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, they are uplifting and strengthen faith to read them. Sorry to hear your recovery is going slow, but glad to hear things are going well. Wishing you the best.

i'm h.mac said...

beautifully written. i'm all teary.

Lucinda said...

Emily, I'm so sorry to read what has been happening in your life. I have been trying to rein in my addiction to the computer and in the process have missed many important things happening in my friends lifes. I'm so grateful the Dr's were able to help you. You have many important times ahead and it is a real blessing to be able to enjoy them. I will have to keep an eye on your blog so I don't miss another opportunity to help. lucinda

Julie Walker said...

good post. don't erase. excited to see you in may. hope you continue to get better. been thinking about you and hope you are feeling much better than you did pre-surgery.

Julie Walker said...

good post. don't erase. excited to see you in may. hope you continue to get better. been thinking about you and hope you are feeling much better than you did pre-surgery.

Julie Walker said...

good post. don't erase. excited to see you in may. hope you continue to get better. been thinking about you and hope you are feeling much better than you did pre-surgery.

Julie Walker said...

good post. don't erase. excited to see you in may. hope you continue to get better. been thinking about you and hope you are feeling much better than you did pre-surgery.

Julie Walker said...

good post. don't erase. excited to see you in may. hope you continue to get better. been thinking about you and hope you are feeling much better than you did pre-surgery.

Jed said...

Thank you for sharing. I needed a faith boost today. No foolin.

@udj said...

I'm grateful for you Emily. Thank you for sharing this.

Lori said...

i love reading others miracle-moments. thank you for letting us in on them. thinking of you and your fam.

Kaylynn said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing it. I hope your recovery is going well and that your stomach is good forever!

Tari said...

Thank you so much for sharing! You have brought me to tears with your awesome faith.