4.06.2011

The Kids

The biggest logistical issue with my surgery was who would take care of the kids. Steve's mom, Gloria, was our lifesaver.

She had the kids overnight for thirteen days straight. Ten more days with the little kids during the day. And two additional weekends with just Kaleigh. She has been absolutely wonderful. Amazing. Unbelievable.

I know much of my praise has gone to Gloria, but I sure appreciate Steve's dad's willingness to help too. Richard drove kids back and forth to school and helped take care of them as well. (And, more impressive than that, he didn't even make anyone cry with stories about ghosts from the basement.)

Many thanks to the others who also helped with the kids. On Tuesdays, Angie took the little kids all day long and even brought them home to bathe them and put them to bed. Saren picked up the girls from school, took Lucy to dance, and fed them dinner. Kacie has had two crazy (long) weekends with kids at her house. And I hope my mom is ready for her second weekend with some loud kids at her house for another sleepover.

And thanks to those of you who offered to help with the kids. Gloria was so kind and said she didn't want me to have to worry about coordinating a complicated schedule and wanted the kids to have some stability during my recovery. But she didn't just watch the kids. She played games with them, helped them with their homework, held Family Home Evening, took them on walks, sewed a button on Kaleigh's dress, mended Lucy's sweater, did workbooks with Adam, read scriptures, made picnic lunches, and even invited more grandkids over for a sleepover.

I know all of this because Rachel and Lucy kept detailed journals about everything they did while they were gone so I wouldn't miss out on anything.


Notice the minute-by-minute updates from Rachel's journal. I loved reading them!


I was a little sad that I missed the first time Rachel bore her testimony in sacrament meeting. But reading about her shoes full of sweat was probably the next best thing to being there:



Our kids are blessed to have such great grandmas, grandpas, aunts, uncles, and neighbors to help take care of them.

Here are the cute notes Lucy made for me:


And the sweet note Lucy's friend gave her, just before my surgery:


All in all, the kids handled things really well. I almost think the little kids were more resilient to the changes than the older kids were. Adam wakes up every day and asks whose house he is going to. (And he's certainly going to be disappointed now that he is stuck at home with me.) Rachel and Lucy, on the other hand, each had impressive meltdowns about a week or so ago. Complete with this awesome note:



After that, Steve decided it might be good to take a day off work and spend some time with Rachel and Lucy.


Problem solved.

6 comments:

Kassi Luck said...

Those are such sweet notes. What a great family you have to help with the kids.

Aneesa Bee said...

Those journal entries made me cry! So sweet. And I know you will hang on to Steve. He's a keeper.

Rebecca said...

AWESOME!!! Those notes are priceless.

Noel said...

Those notes are hilarious! Love them.

India asks me everyday when she can have a sleepover with Rachel and Lucy again....and she tears up when I say not for a while. They are so nice to her even though she is so much younger. It's really sweet of them to make her feel included in what they are doing. You have great kids!

Natalie said...

Those notes are priceless...I love the one about running away! Wish we were closer to help you out, sending lots of prayers your way though!

Lori said...

i love the journal entries. you two are good parents