7.23.2011

Animated Gif


I read how to make an animated gif on Say Yes to Hoboken, but since I don't have Photoshop, I asked my sister to make one for me. These images of Lucy from the splash park were perfect. Now I want to go back and get the kids to pose for more shots. . . and play around with the pictures myself because it turns out that you don't need Photoshop to make animated gifs. These other links and instructions were left as comments by readers of Liz's blog:


2. There's a free open source program called GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) that is similar to Photoshop in many ways. (see www.gimp.org/downloads/ for the Windows installer)

To make a simple animated gif in GIMP: add all your images as separate layers (in the order you want them to appear). Select "Save As" from the file menu. Click on "select file type", choose gif from the list, click "save", and when it gives you the option to "save as animation" or "flatten image", select "save as animation", click Export, then click Save. All done!

There are many options you can use to space out the frames, etc. (google "GIMP and animated gifs" for tutorials), but that's the fastest way I know of in GIMP to get from a sequence of photos to an animation. :-)

3. Just discovered that this is available in photoscape, which you can download for free.

No comments: