9.18.2011

Craft Day: Duct Tape Flip Flops



The other day, Rachel and Lucy spent the afternoon making duct tape creations with the neighbors, and I remembered that I never posted the pictures from our Bonus Craft Day (planned around Karen's visit to Utah) last month.

Maybe I was subconsciously trying to suppress the memory. With thirteen kids and four adults, it was a bit chaotic. (I really do need to add something to help absorb the noise in my kitchen. Curtains should be on my to do list. What else would work???)

You can find instructional videos on how to make duct tape flip flops all over the internet. They tell you to trace the bottom of your shoe to create a template and then to make your flip flops out of cardboard.

But we like to do things easy, so we just covered old flip flops up with duct tape. (This was timed perfectly. . . at the end of the summer, when all of the kids' flip flops were getting old and dingy.) You can buy Duck Tape with cool prints just about everywhere now: Target, Walmart, Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, Michaels, Shopko, etc. And I saw on the Duck Tape website that they just came out with College Team Duck Tape.

We cut lots and lots of strips of duct tape (about five inches long), stuck them to the edge of the kitchen counter, and let the kids get to work. There might have been a couple of kids whose mothers insisted on expressing opinions/helping/taking over their project.

This is what they/we came up with:


Can you guess whose feet are whose?


This one should be easy. . .


I'm curious to see if Karen asks to attend Craft Day next time she visits :)

2 comments:

Ryanne said...

Those turned out great!

Tari said...

How fun! I have the same problem in my kitchen with the noise. I can't decide on curtains and I had a rug in there at one point but it didn't really help and then it got all gross and dirty. My kids are just too little to have a rug under the table. Let me know if you come up with any other ideas. Big room with tile floors = lots and lots of noise.