2.12.2012

Spotlighted



You can read it here.

I had never heard of The Power of Moms until Saren, one of the founders, moved in down the street. She and her family quickly became some of our favorite neighbors.

About a year ago, I started a Learning Circle with some of my friends. . . we are pretty lucky because not everyone gets to have one of the founders (and author of many of the articles we discuss) in their group! Heidi, who is also in our group, wrote a really great description of our Learning Circle on her blog, so I'm linking you to her post.

I've spent the last few years with really great intentions of taking the time to read parenting articles and books on a regular basis; being part of a Learning Circle gives me a deadline to get it done. It is also very helpful to hear ideas from other mothers and have someone to report to about the monthly assignments that coordinate with the articles.

My answers for the spotlight were too long for the Power of Moms blog, so they cut out one of the questions. It was one of the questions that required me to really evaluate myself, so I'm including it here.

What coping strategies do you have for getting through hard times and hard days?

We were just discussing our coping strategies at our Learning Circle meeting last month. There was talk about running, bubble baths, and Diet Coke. But for me, it is my husband and my faith that get me through hard times and hard days. (Believe me, there have been plenty.) My husband repeatedly reminds me to allow my trials to bring me closer to my Savior, Jesus Christ. And although I don't spend nearly as much time as I should really studying my scriptures, I am grateful for the scriptures that I have memorized that come to my aid when I need them. One of my favorites over this past year has been "Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." (Joshua 1:9) I also really like the scripture from the Book of Mormon that says "Wherefore, there must be faith; and if there must be faith there must also be hope; and if there must be hope there must also be charity." (Moroni 10:20) Those three divine attributes: faith, hope, and charity, can get you through a lot of things.

2 comments:

Kristin Wilkerson said...

Awesome Emily. I'm excited to read it.

Anonymous said...

amm.. introdution Youtuve ucc. Name is "I have already come"
famous and impressive. Are you recommend look like a good UCC?
Peru : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5__TLjLQtI&feature=colike
series 1 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPKZ78cIH8c&feature=colike
series 2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXKV78VERio&feature=colike
series 3_campaign : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NAKZ7H6iLQ&feature=colike