3.02.2012

FEBRUARY

February is usually a slow month for our family, but not this year. It flew by and I wouldn't have known where it went, except for these pictures (mostly captured by our phones) that document our month.


Sonora Grill sponsored a Weber State University Men's Basketball game. We gave away a free trip to Mexico and the kids got to meet Damian Lillard. He was so nice to them and signed autograph after autograph.


Rachel and Lucy thought it was pretty cool to play on the court after the game.

Inspired by the thought of an upcoming trip to Mexico, Steve went to the gym for the first time in about two years. But just once.


We went to the Treehouse Museum with Rachel Miller and her kids before they moved to Georgia. (I stole this picture from her blog.) Rachel/Ellery, Lucy/Bennett, Adam/Reagan, and Kaleigh/Campbell all match up in age within a month or two of each other. But Rachel is about to have number five. . . and we aren't.


Steve and Ethan volunteered at Snowbasin for the Dew Tour while Rachel and Gracie went skiing and collected free swag.


They also made lots of silly AT&T Fast Face videos.


Mike invited our family to go ice fishing. I opted to stay home with Kaleigh, but Steve and the three older kids went. They made some great memories and the experience is definitely deserving of its own post. . . so I will more fully document the ice fishing trip another day.


Becky was in Salt Lake for a hunting convention and came up to visit. While we were at Debra's house, we tried these dried coconuts from Costco, and they are surprisingly good. You won't like your first bite, but they will grow on you, and then you will find yourself craving them.

Adam danced in a halftime show at a Weber State University basketball game. It was a fundraiser for the Spirit Squad. I signed Adam up because he is really into dancing and Steve says with parents like us, he has no hope. I made the mistake, one day, of saying something about Adam's cheer clinic. That didn't go over too well with Steve.



In contrast to the hundreds of girls, there were only four boy dancers, and they danced a very boyish dance. This is the video that I took during the practice because it's a better angle than the once I got during the game. At the end of the video, the cheerleader tries to get Adam to make a "W" with his fingers, but Adam tells him that he just wants to show everyone his muscles.


Adam was so hyper the night of the performance. I convinced him to wear this headband and he told everyone we sat by that he was going to be in the halftime show. He fell on his face a bit when he was doing his spin-around-his-hand-on-the-ground move. Afterwards, he told me in his serious voice, "That part was not funny." I would definitely let Adam participate in the halftime show again. . . but probably not the girls.


Steve and I went with Sam, Kacie, Dalton, and Holly to Mist: Salt Lake. The sixteen-course dinner lasted almost four hours. I really should write about this separately because it was incredible.


We helped Dave & Leslie move into their house. Rachel and Lucy were both good little workers.


And I happened to see this awesome school assignment of Jake's.


I deleted Netflix from the iPad (Why doesn't Netflix offer parental controls?) and Adam wrote me his first note. Actually, I head him go up to Rachel and ask her to write "unhappy" for him and then he added his name, hung it on the fridge, and walked away with his shoulders completed slumped over. He later tried to convince me that he had learned the bad words. . . more like "potty words" from PBS Kids, so I should have deleted that instead of Netflix. Silly boy.

Rachel gave a report on the first 13 Presidents of the United States of America for Family Home Evening. (If you live in Ogden, you should be able to name them without looking them up because the main roads from Washington to Fillmore are named after them.) Rachel took her assignment very seriously and gathered enough information for a two-hour presentation. My twelve minutes of video is far too long to post, and not quite exciting enough to edit. But we learned lots of fun facts. Our favorite was this story:

John Quincy Adams customarily took a nude early morning swim in the Potomac River. Anne Royall, the first U.S. professional journalist, knew of his 5 a.m. swims. After being refused interviews with the president time after time, she went to the river, gathered his clothes and sat on them until she had her interview. Before this, no female had interviewed a president.

And my favorite part was when she concluded by saying, "And nude means naked!"



I tried out quite a few recipes from Pinterest. One of my favorites is this Citrus Mint Salad. (Which was posted as a summer salad, but I think it makes a fabulous winter salad.)

Steve, Adam, Kaleigh, and I spent 2.5 hours in waiting room at doctor office and I never even got seen. And thanks to our iPhones and iPad, it wasn't even a big deal. I have a funny little video of Steve and Adam playing red light, green light, but I can't get it to upload.


Alyzah Horner came over to play and posed in Lucy's glasses. (Rachel passed her fake glasses onto Lucy.)


The six U.S. citizens in our family received their passports.


Kaleigh's preschool class went on a field trip to McDonald's.


And got some ice cream.


We went to another Weber State Women's Basketball game. The activity was deemed a success when the kids were shown dancing up on the JumboTron. It almost turned into a failure when we lost Adam after the game. . . .


The kids skipped a day of school and we went skiing at Brighton with Gracie and the Looslis.


Lucy thought the bunny hill was the funnest thing ever because the slope is so gradual that she didn't even have to turn and could just fly straight down.


Can you see why Rachel gets mistaken for a boy? I need to get that girl some pink gloves.

And Rachel and Lucy completed their first month as official members of the Barracuda Swim Team. My friend recommended that I take a video to look back on after they have improved. . . so this is Lucy's "before" video, which was taken at the beginning of February:



1 comment:

Ryanne said...

You were definitely busy! And now March is here and spring is around the corner. I did swim club and swam in high school so I'm really excited for your girls to be doing it, are they liking it? Its a wonderful sport.