6.16.2012

Alaska Road Trip: Day 8

I found tickets to the Alaska Experience Theatre for sale at a discount through Groupon a month or so before our trip and thought it sounded like a great deal: Earthquake Simulator and Double Feature with Drinks and Popcorn for Four for only $34. I think we kind of got snookered, along with the 500 other people who bought the deal. 

The Alaska Experience Theatre looked okay online. It even looked okay from outside of the building. Amy told me it's okay to do once, but that's all. And she was about right. I guess you could say "It was an experience", but it certainly wasn't impressive.  


The popcorn came in Ziploc bags and the drinks were cans of soda. 


I guess I am glad that we went because it did have some educational value. The displays in the lobby and corridor (which you can see for free) are worthwhile; there are lots of pictures and maps that show the devastating effects of the Good Friday Earthquake of 1964. (It was measured at 9.2, making it the second largest earthquake in the recorded history of the world.) Rachel and Lucy learned a lot. (I did too.) I think they are showing you what to do in an earthquake: 


The earthquake simulator movie itself was kind of disappointing, especially compared to the high-quality films we had been watching at visitor centers. Based on their website, I was expecting something more along the lines of an IMAX Theatre: "Be sure to join us at the Alaska Experience's Safe-Quake Theatre as we relive and listen to those who rode through this catastrophic event over 40 years ago." Instead, the film was a semi-boring documentary and was so outdated that it could have been made 40 years ago. It was shown in a small, theatre with worn seating. And then the chairs shook (very loudly) for a minute or two at the end. I was just glad Kaleigh laughed instead of cried because that could have gone either way. And who thought it was a good idea to give kids open cans of soda in chairs that shook? Someone didn't think that one through. 


The second film, Journey to Alaska, was shown in a much nicer, more modern theatre with a 40-foor screen. It was definitely more what I would have expected. Steve and I both fell asleep. The kids seemed to enjoy both films just fine. They were probably mostly excited to have soda. 

Did I mention that we watched Napoleon Dynamite about ten times on our trip? It started to affect Rachel and Lucy's personalities. . . and their hair. 


I am not sure how this started, but every time Rachel and Lucy see a totem pole, they try to mimic the pose. 


And every time Adam and Kaleigh see a bear statue, they give it a hug: 


We went back to Jake and Amy's house, and Amy showed me some of her healthy treats. Has anyone tried these Goji Berries? They are strangely delicious. They almost taste like whole wheat bread dough, in a good way, with the consistency of raisins. That doesn't sound good, but they are.

 

We found out that Kaleigh is allergic to cats: 


And then we went on a little bike ride: 


Jake and Amy live right close to a whole system of great biking/walking/xcskiing trails. We biked down the hill and over the bridge. 



To a school playground where the kids ran around and played tag. 

Jake and Jessica: 


Ben: 


Batman needed his picture taken too:
 

And then it was back to Jake and Amy's house for a highly-anticipated swim in the hot tub. This is when Ben really started to let loose with the facial expressions: 


Maggie came by to visit and we had an entertaining late-night talk as the sun went down. This picture was taken at 11:10 pm. Steve and Amy compared "when I married a Malouf" stories. I think the best quote was Amy's, "I didn't realize you could give gifts with conditions!"


I think Steve's comment was, "I didn't realize everything was for sale." Earlier that morning, I had posted the trailer for sale on craigslist. For a few thousand dollars more than we bought it for.

No comments: