2.18.2013

The Easiest and Best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe Ever

Go to Trader Joe's and buy 2 jars of Masala Simmer Sauce: 


And at least 2 packages of Trader Joe's Garlic Naan: 


And some basmati rice. All rice is not the same, and it doesn't matter where you buy it, but you must use basmati rice. 

You will also need heavy cream, chicken, and tumeric (optional). 

1. Cook basmati rice (2 cups rice, 4 cups water, 1 Teaspoon tumeric) in rice cooker.

2. Blend 2 jars of Masala Simmer Sauce and 4-6 oz. water until smooth. (Just enough water to swish around to get the leftover sauce out of the jars. And you can skip the blending if you like the texture of the sauce the way it comes in the jar. But I definitely prefer it smooth.)

3. Pour into saucepan and heat. 

4. Add about 1 pint heavy cream. 

5. Add chicken. (I use the chicken I canned at the Preston Cannery because that's the fastest way to go, but you could use any kind of chicken. The tastiest would be grilled chicken, cut into chunks.)

6. Warm up the garlic naan in the oven. 

That's it. 

Your Chicken Tikka Masala sauce will look like this: 


And once you dish it up, it will look like this: 


Actually, if you use tumeric, your rice will be yellow instead of white like the picture. After a couple rounds of white rice, Lucy requested saffron rice like we ate at a fancy restaurant once. But the tumeric turns the rice yellow, so that's fancy enough. 

You could easily substitute potatoes for the chicken, or add both. And if my husband didn't have a severe aversion to peas, I might try adding some green peas to the rice. 

Derrick thought it was take-out and didn't believe me that I made this myself. (Well, I did take some major shortcuts.) He told me it was so good that it wasn't worth eating curry anymore, which is his former favorite dinner. Steve has been coming home from work every day and asking if I have made it again. Yes, it's that good. 

Thank you, Trader Joe's!

6 comments:

Natalie B. said...

Bummer...miss Trader Joe's here. I will have to pick some up next time I am near one. I am all for quick fancy meals!

The Clawsons said...

Sounds lovely!! Now I have one more thing that I will have to pick up every time I go to Trader Joes. What a quick and delish meal! My Emma is going to love you forever and ever!!

AngelaW said...

This makes me very excited! Now I have to find a trader joes.

Rebecca said...

Easiest just as long as you live by a Trader Joe's...

Jen said...

Mmmmm, thanks for sharing this recipe--this is what's for dinner tonight!! :)

Mikaela Shafer said...

Making this tonight! I didn't go to trader joes but I got some yummy tiki masala sauce at the regular grocery store, fingers crossed.