4.19.2013

A Quick and Easy Dinner for a Rainy Day

I am strongly opposed to the profuse number of recipes that have infiltrated my Facebook newsfeed. So that's why it's so terrible to have to admit this, but I found this recipe on Facebook. I'm guessing pretty much everyone saw this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Cupcakes.

Well, I tried them. But I modified the recipe, of course. Instead of frozen veggies, I boiled fresh carrots, fresh broccoli, and sauteed some garlic. No onion powder, garlic salt, or Herbs De Provence.

So here's my list of ingredients:

1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (I actually used my canned chicken. . which I seasoned when I  canned it, so that's why I skipped adding any more salt.)
1 (14.5 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup carrots, diced
1 cup broccoli florets
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
2 (10 oz) cans Pillsbury biscuits

And this is what I did:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Boil the carrots and broccoli.
3. Saute the garlic.
4. In a large bowl, combine the cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, cooked veggies, cheese, and garlic.
5. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan and place the Pillsbury biscuits into each cup, pressing into the bottom and up the sides.
6. Evenly spoon the pot pie mixture into each biscuit cup. Bake for about 15 minutes.

Taking a picture of the mixture was an afterthought, so it's not very pretty:


Everyone like them, except for Kaleigh, who just ate the outside biscuit. Steve said they tasted way better than real Chicken Pot Pie. They were easy to eat and portioned perfectly for kids. But I'm not a fan of the cupcake craze, and I think they would be more appropriately named Chicken Pot Pie Muffins

I actually liked them so well that I started trying to think of some other things you could cook the same way. A quick search led me to Bacon and Egg CupcakesBuffalo Chicken Appetizer Cupcakes made with Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough, and Pizza Cupcakes using Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. But seriously, shouldn't they all be called muffins? Since you know. . . cupcakes have frosting on them? But whatever. I am excited to try out this recipe for Apple Pie Cupcakes made out of Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls. 

. . . And I may or may not ever get around to telling you how they turn out!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I made these this week too! But I did Bisquick instead of Pillsbury rolls. They turned out good. I totally agree with the muffin title as opposed to the cupcake title.

Gloria said...

Your dress is beautiful and you look terrific. I understand always being the tallest in the photos. I have just gotten used to it. I don't think I'd care at all if I looked as good as you do.