9.18.2013

Tested: Apple Cider Vinegar Fruit Fly Trap

For the last few years, we've made fruit fly traps with rotting fruit and vinegar. It works pretty well. Except that you have to regularly remake your trap and dispose of the rotting fruit before you end up with maggots. Gross, right?

So when I saw a post about a much simpler fruit fly trap, I was eager to try it out. 

Last night, I set out two traps. One made with clear plastic wrap covering rotting fruit. And the other one was just an open glass jar with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. 

Twelve hours later, we had our verdict. The rotting fruit trap caught three fruit flies, which are still buzzing around underneath the clear plastic wrap. The apple cider vinegar and dish soap caught (and killed) twenty-one fruit flies. 

Let me present to you the easiest, most effective fruit fly trap ever: 


1. Fill a glass with apple cider vinegar. 
2. Add a few drops of dish soap. 
3. Wait for fruit flies to die. 

Fruit flies are attracted to the apple cider vinegar, but the dish soap breaks the surface tension of the vinegar, so the fruit flies drown. And die. (You can see some of them in the picture at the bottom of the glass jar.)

Easy, schmeasy. No more fruit flies in my house. 

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Gross but cool. :)

Dani said...

I tried that one before. I must've done it wrong--like had too much soap, because it didn't work. I'll have to try it again! This one was just Apple cider vinegar with a ziploc bag secured with a rubber band and one small hole. They can get in, but not out, so then they die.