9.12.2013

The Bountiful B

Every time we are driving and see a letter on the mountain, one of the kids asks what it stands for, how big it is, what it's made out of, and if you can hike up to it. So for Family Home Evening on Monday, we went to see the Bountiful B: 


I was surprised to find that the Bountiful B is located directly above someone's house. Like maybe thirty or forty yards away. That means that you can drive right up to it. (Here's an image that shows the proximity to the house.) 

We parked in the lot south of the B and started on our walk. The kids set off on a trail that went up to the top of the mountain, while Steve and I walked along the dirt road that goes immediately below the B. Rachel and Lucy are the two fuzzy dots left of the sunflower: 


Here are all three kids at the top: 


I had asked my friend, Rachel, (who provides me with all sorts of great travel tips) how long the hike to the Bountiful B was. She replied: Super short. You can drive right up to it - so it is like 100 feet to the top. Not really a hike!

It makes sense to me now. . . but when she sent me that message I didn't realize she meant 100 feet to the top. . . as in you could scale the side of the B. I was dressed in skinny jeans and my Sanuk shoes. . . which are worn so thin that it's about like walking on a piece of foam craft paper. I had envisioned walking 100 feet to the bottom of the B, having our FHE lesson, walking 100 feet back to the car, and going home. But that's not the way it worked out. 

Rachel, Lucy, and Adam were standing at the top of the B when Adam dropped his bubble wand. Of course, he wanted to go after it. I was fairly certain that he was going to fall down the entire mountain and break his leg on the rocks. I heard Rachel say, "I dare you!" And that's when we yelled at the kids to stop. 

We must not be nearly as daring as my friend, Rachel, because if you click on this post and scroll towards the bottom, you can see some pictures of her kids casually sliding down the surface of the weathered concrete. Check out her post from 2008, and it looks like there used to be a rope at the B. That would have been nice. 

The kids were at the top of the B and we were at the bottom, so Steve said that we were climbing up. I was carrying my camera, an iPad which was going to be used for the lesson, and my bag with a variety of other things in it. And I still have this horrible head cold. (The one that was almost gone until I ran the 5K on Saturday, and then it came back with a vengeance.) In addition to the congestion that keeps me from sleeping at night, I must have some sort of small ear infection because I felt completely off balance. I wasn't feeling great, and I wasn't prepared for climbing up the B. Steve took off ahead of me and left me hovering close to the ground, looking for handholds to pull myself up with. I told him to come get my camera before I dropped it and warned him that I was probably about to die. He laughed, telling me that if I just stood up straight, I could probably walk up the mountain. But remember the part about me wearing the craft-foam-paper-thin shoes? There were pokey rocks and broken glass everywhere. 

Steve was trying to hurry up there as fast as he could (before Adam decided to come down). But I was feeling unbalanced, (in more ways than one) so I told Steve that he needed to get behind me. . . you know, so he could catch me when I fell. So very silly because it isn't really that steep, but I was a little dizzy and I have this problem where sometimes I visualize terrible things happening. . . like falling down the side of that rocky mountain. I got so nervous that my feet were sweating. So now, in addition to craft-foam-paper-thin shoes, I was trying to climb up there in wet craft-foam-paper-thin shoes. 

How embarrassing. It's just a good thing that nobody had a video camera on me because I probably looked a little ridiculous and sounded completely crazy.

Thank goodness we made it up to these three cute kids:


We figured we would have our lesson on top of the mountain, but it was far too loud and distracting. There were a few people riding motorbikes in the dirt hills back behind us, and someone was shooting a gun at some targets.

Rachel and Lucy asked for some jumping pictures: 


And then we hiked back down the backside:


The kids were absolutely enthralled with everything they saw on our hike down and could have played for hours. They loved this huge trench that went all the way down the mountain. Lucy went ahead and planned out our Christmas card picture: we are going to get paintball guns and camouflage clothes and go back to the trenches and pretend we are hiding in a fox hole. (Don't hold your breath.)


The sun setting on the other side of the valley provided us with some great shadows to play with:


I didn't notice what Steve did until I downloaded my pictures:


It wasn't easy, but we finally pried our kids off the mountain and got them back to the car. Steve decided that we needed a treat to eat so the kids would stop talking long enough to listen to a lesson. And then my friend Audrey texted me and asked if we were still in Bountiful because she had a box of peaches for us. . . so awesome.

We love going to the Philpot's house. So much that Steve had to remind us that we couldn't stay long. (It was 8:00 pm and we still needed to have our lesson and drive home.)

As soon as we walked in the door, Rachel pointed to the big chart in their living room.

We have been trying to focus on this scripture, found in D&C 88:119, this year:

Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God.


I reflect on this scripture often. . . and what it means to have a house of God. 

Then Audrey showed us the second part of their lesson. They let their kids fill in the blanks with their own answers for this one: 

The Philpot house is a house of fun, a house of energy, a house of gardens, a house of tickles, a house of love. 


I love it. Such a great family home evening lesson. And what a great scripture to use as a base to make your own family motto. 

The Philpots fed us ice cream and we chatted until Steve pried me away. That means he loaded up all of the kids in the car and honked until me and Audrey stopped talking.  

And then we finally had our lesson in the car on our drive back to Ogden. 

1 comment:

@udj said...

i didn't realize you hadn't done your lesson. oops. i just thought you needed to get home because it was a school night. we are going to go to the B now, glad you gave us a review about it.