10.03.2013

Bridal Veil Falls

It's been a full month, so I think it's time to document our Malouf Family Labor Day weekend. The only problem is that we packed so much into one weekend and we took so many pictures, that I'm going to have to break it up into a few posts. 

We started our weekend in Provo Canyon at Bridal Veil Falls. I've seen the falls from the road dozens and dozens of times, but this was my first time stopping. 

From Provo, it's about a 15-minute drive to the parking lot in the canyon. From the parking lot (with porta-potties), we set out on the paved trail: 


With a total of ten kids: 


I should have used my phone app to measure the distance to the falls, but it's short. . . less than a mile. 

Here is Bridal Veil Falls, a 607-foot double cataract waterfall: 


And here is the shallow pool of water at the base of the falls: 


It didn't take long for the kids to start climbing up towards the lower waterfall:


Some of them went up even further, and I was glad that Steve was right there with them. (Look closely and you can see someone rappelling down the falls.)


Another view of the bottom. You can see Rebecca standing on the left:


Since it was Labor Day weekend, the whole area was really crowded. I was a little nervous that one of the kids was going to fall and tumble down the rocks in front of that large audience. . . so I was relieved when everyone came back down.


There used to be a six-passenger aerial tram to the top of the falls, but it was destroyed by an avalanche in 1996. It had been considered to be the "world's steepest tram" and took passengers to a restaurant up on top of the cliff. The ruins were destroyed by a fire in 2008, but there is talk of building a new tram.

If you go to Bridal Veil Falls, be sure to bring some quarters so you can feed the fish:


Some of the kids devoted a whole lot of time to trying to catch a fish with their hands: 


Some of the kids insisted on hiking around. . . in places where you are not actually allowed to hike: 


And some of the kids were just thrilled to play in the water: 


I tried to get a good picture of Sam, Kacie, and the twins. . . but it was impossible to get all four of them to look at the camera at the same time: 


But when you have babies this cute, it doesn't actually matter if they look at the camera.


Steve spent some quality time with Cora: 


He loves playing with those babies, but then he always has to tell me, "This isn't giving you any ideas, okay?"


I couldn't catch any of these pictures in focus, so I should have just taken a video to capture Ivy's laugh:


She loves being thrown up into the air: 


Cora prefers being held:


We finally decided it was time to move along to our next activity, so we started back to our cars. The kids decided to walk back in the small creek, so it took a while: 


And we ended up with some wet kids:


Cora fell asleep and went back into her stroller: 


So Rachel decided it was her turn to be carried. There's only a slight difference in weight between the two girls. (Joking.) 


I can poke fun at Cora and Ivy's chunkiness because I was an even bigger baby. My mom says that all four of us kids were 26 lbs. by the time we were eight months old!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I had no idea about the tram or restaurant. And 26 lbs, are you kidding me?! Grace was 16 lbs at her year checkup yesterday. I loved all the pics and am excited for the rest of the posts. Sure do enjoy the Malouf families :)

Gloria said...

I remember going there once. It was a beautiful area. The tram wasn't working then but it was there.

I just love to see family fun! Nice pictures!