12.30.2013

A Happy Anniversary Poem for My Parents


I'd like to take this opportunity, 
Even though it's very late,
To wish my parents a Happy Anniversary, 
And let them know I think they're great. 

I'm so very glad, 
My dad didn't marry fiancé number one (or two).
Because where would I be without my mother, 
Had she not been the one to say, "I Do."

She taught me to read, 
When I was just a girl of three.
She came to school and rescued me,
That time I couldn't wait to pee. 

She taught me about prayer,
On a sailboat out in the middle of Bear Lake.
And that Heavenly Father listens to us,
Even when we make mistakes.

She taught me how to dehydrate bananas,
And make peanut butter balls.
She hosted a rotating preschool group;
We played with paper dolls.

She taught me how to plant a garden,
And how to make those peas grow straight.
She taught me how to transplant flowers,
All before the age of eight. 

She taught me how to work hard, 
First with newspapers and then mowing lawns.
I didn't always appreciate it, 
Especially on cold mornings when I was up before dawn. 

She taught me to use a calendar, 
And to fill it up with fun.
Swimming at CiCo Pool, bike rides, and trips to Abilene,
Before the summer was done.  

She taught me how to use coupons,
And to buy things when they were on sale.
Like the ice cream cone tokens from Vista,
And all the good deals we got through the mail. 

She taught me to serve others,
In a hospital in an unfamiliar town.
And that sometimes you just need to be a shoulder to cry on,
For someone when they are down. 

She taught me proper grammar,
That I should answer the phone, "This is she."
My mother, the English teacher,
Made it easy for me to do well on the ACT. 

She encouraged me to go to BYU,
But I wasn't the least bit interested.
She even tried to bribe me,
But I firmly resisted.

She taught me to be honest,
No matter what, no matter where.
Don't drive my parents' car to Mexico,
And think that they won't care.

And what about my Dad?
I hardly know where to start.
He truly has made parenting, 
Into a form of art. 

We grew up with Family Court, 
Where he always asked "What happened and what should be done?"
Punishments included writing essays and being immobilized,
Trust me, neither was very fun. 

He taught me to Always Be Careful,
And that guns are not toys. 
He signed me up for Judo classes,
Right along with the boys. 

Get control of your time and your life, 
But don't forget to dream. 
Learn how to change a tire, 
And keep your windshield clean.

He thinks I'm a lot smarter,
Than I actually am.
Probably because I am more competitive,
Than my older brother, Sam. 

There was that year, when I was twelve, 
He gave me a compass and a pencil.
And challenged me to write a proof to trisect an angle.
(Even though it's actually impossible.)

He encouraged me to take pictures,
To write in my journal too.
He taught me to always carry a pen,
And repeated, "It's time to wear a watch". . . until he was blue. 

My dad is an interesting man,
With lots of amazing skills.
He custom-builds apple boxes,
And knows all about pills. 

His trunk is full of all sorts of things:
Fifteen pairs of scissors, duct tape in seven different colors, and at least a dozen maps. 
He always has exactly what you need, 
And he is the champion of twenty-minute naps. 

He might offer to give you a sixty-second lesson,
On how to use pepper spray.
Or maybe he will show you his sandpaper collection,
Or teach you about gluten, pasteurization, or whey.

He's extremely intelligent,
And practical too.
He taught me how to catch termites,
And showed me the best types of glue.

He taught me about the "danger zone",
And how to put on snow chains,
So many uses for 3x5 cards,
Like remembering his nieces' names. 

I am thankful for my parents;
Teaching truly is their specialty.
I'm thankful for their example, their words of wisdom,
And I wish them a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

2 comments:

Gloria said...

They will treasure this beautiful poem, what a wonderful anniversary gift.

Rebecca said...

What a beautiful gift!!! When I read the part about being Imobilized I laughed really hard. I feel like this needs to be turned into a book with some Dr. Suesslike illustrations. Love this so much!