2.07.2014

A Dog for Adam

Steve thinks I'm overly excited about this:


But he doesn't hear Adam's prayers every night.

The boy has been relentless.

"Please bless me that I can be good enough that I can get a dog someday." 

"Please bless that my dad's allergies will go away."

"I'm thankful for the pets I might get." 

It continues after prayers too. .  .

"Mom, if you could remarry someone, I would want you to marry someone that's not allergic to dogs. But I know you can't unmarry him because you got sealed in the temple."

"Mom, when I grow up, I'm going to be a scientist so I can invent something that makes Dad's allergies go away." 

Adam: Mom, why did you have to marry Dad?!?
Me: Because I love him. 
Adam: If you would have married someone else, you would love them too. 
Me: Nope, I only love your dad. 
Adam: Well, when Dad dies, I am getting a dog!

I actually keep hearing that phrase over and over again:

"When Dad dies, I'm getting a dog!"

(It doesn't matter how many times I explain to Adam that his dad is not the only reason we aren't getting a dog. Steve is stuck with the blame. And I feel only partially bad about that.)

A few weeks ago, Adam wrote this letter to my parents:


And then my mom called us with an announcement. . . she bought a puppy!

She has made everything so much fun for Adam. She mailed him pictures and even let him help with the name: Daisy Starlight Ballard. (Is that right, Mom?)

Adam has been jubilantly counting down the days until he could go see his dog. As soon as he got home from school, he raced up the stairs to get his money and then ran to the car. We stopped at PetSmart so he could pick out a few treats for Daisy. And then we drove to Idaho. 

My mom decorated her kitchen for Adam's arrival: 


I can't believe I forgot my camera, so these iPhone pictures will have to do. But it's still pretty obvious that he's a happy boy.


It really is the perfect situation: Adam got his dog. . . and I don't have to take care of it!


I've got a feeling we're going to be making the 90-mile trip to my parents' house much more frequently. . . My mom finally figured out how to get us to visit more often!

4 comments:

AngelaW said...

So similar to the pleadings of Jack. Finally when he just started sobbing about not haveing a best friend to go on walks with or to play fetch with, I had one moment of weekness. And now I have a stupid dog. You are lucky that he is ok with a dog at your parents house!

Kayli said...

Aww, I'm so happy for Adam!

Gloria said...

Happy for Adam.

Keicha Christiansen said...

Oh my cuteness! The puppy is adorable and the pictures of Adam with Daisy are priceless. I'm so happy for him.